Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
NH
City
Nashua
My Dad was recently diagnosed with ALS about 1 month ago. He currently has minimum strength in is left hand & maybe a little more in his leg (he's not dragging his leg constantly although I have notice him doing it a few times).

My question is: Is swelling in his hand normal?

Every site I have gone to with symptoms of ALS doesn't mention the potential swelling.

The Dr's gave him 2-5 yrs which after reading from several websites seems to be the norm. Although I am aware it could linger for much longer or take him away from us much sooner :-(

SixthKid,

Swelling is not unusual in ALS patients who have lost the use of a hand, especially if the hand is kept in a position lower than the rest of the arm so that gravity pulls body fluids down into the hand. Since the fingers are no longer able to flex around to pump the extra fluid back out of the hand, the fluid collects over time and the fingers and hand will be swollen.

As long as the hand stays warm and pink, you can prop the hand up on a pillow to get the hand and wrist higher than the elbow to help relieve the swelling. There are also some exercise and massage techniques that can be used to help with the situation. The physical therapists at your father's ALS clinic should be able to teach your father and the rest of the family what needs to be done to improve the situation

If the hand gets cold to the touch, changes color to a purplish or blue-ish color, or your father has pain in the hand, he should see a doctor as soon as possible to rule out circulatory problems in the arm.

So sorry that you have to be here. I don't really have an answer to your question, but I'm sure some of the other members who have been here longer will have some thoughts on that. ALS is a crummy thing to have, but cherish each and every day you have with your dad. Learn to live WITH it and not BE the disease. There is so much knowledge shared on this site. You have come to the right place!

Prayers for you and your family,
Jo

Sixth Kid,

Wow, by now I'am sure you have read some of the other sites. You sure will learn alot here. One thing is for sure. There are some things
that are very similar, and some things that are very different. Swelling hands as trophgy says will happen to most anyone who does not use
them and keep them lower than the elbow. On the other hand, no pun intended, the execises are very important. Keeping the hands open goes without saying.

You really will learn alot here. How to deal with burnout to financing, to all sorts of things that you just would not have thought of in advance.

Sorry your here, support is available, friends are available. We have a can do attitude. :)

Jim

If only one hand is swelling I'd think it's not ALS related. Any spiders in his place? Feet and legs will swell once in a chair but hands are not common.

AL.

I was diagnosed just 2 days ago. I have been in a wheelchair for about 4 and a half months now and it seems that since then I have had a problem with swolen feet. I am not able to walk anymore and I am pretty sure that is why

My husband has had swelling in his hands. It has coincided with the decline. ALS showed itself in his left hand first. As he lost the use of the hand, he started to experience swelling (for the reasons that Trfogey listed). We prop them up, and the swelling goes down. The same thing works for his legs. He puts them up in the lift chair, and it reduces the swelling.

Thank you all for your replies.

It does make sense that if he is not using his hand as much due to the ALS that it would swell. I saw him the other day and the swelling didn't seem as bad as before.
This is one journey I don't want to go thru and I am trying to just take it one day at a time <3

My father in law has had varying amounts of swelling in hands a feet. He is in a wheelchair full time these days and has completely lost the use of his hands. The swelling became really bad a while ago but it looks like it was a bad combination of meds that made it worse.

I have no confirmed diagnosis yet--but my legs are swelling very badly--and my bad arm (the one with the atrophy) is swelling, too. One thing to watch for--if they didn't tell you, is pain in the calves for those in wheelchairs or bed for long periods--blood clots can cause a lot of problems. I've been on blood thinners for 3 years now.

Please for all of you--don't ever assume any sudden onset of difficulty breathing is your ALS if it's a 'new' issue. Clots can be treated if caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back