Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Al
City
Valley
My husband Bruce started bulbar, so he mostly has problems with speech, and swallowing. For the last several weeks he says his legs cramp all the time. Do any of you have this problem? If so what helps?

Hi joni, what helped leg cramps the most for my pals was a regular dose of quinnine sulphate. I think I saw Joel recommend quinnine for cramps on another thread. Also saw another post along the way about flexing the toes. Can't remember the title of the thread but maybe you might find it below at the bottom of the page?

Thanks Avril! How are you and your mum doing?

Ah sure, chugging along. Spent an age in the hospital yesterday. Mum & I we were a picture. With all the people in the waiting room I was getting hotter & redder, shedding layers. Meanwhile she was chilling down. Thought the lady next to me was going to fall off her chair when I put sheepskin mittens on mums hands. Hope the cramps ease up. Have you tried tonic water?

I bet you were a picture, what's the weather there? Have not tried tonic water , but will sure check in to both you suggested. I hear the sheepskin stuff is good.

My legs are terribly crampy in the morning, actually to the point of spasms. I take baclofen and gabapentin which help to take the edge off of the cramps.

I think I'm going to go "leg shopping" tomorrow.

Kim I have heard of the baclofen...never heard of the other. I will check into them and Thanks:)

Joni, the gapapentin has helped to an extent - some nights my feet and toes still cramp and waken me. My mom took quinine pills for many years and they worked well -- then the government banned the issuing of the pills for anything but malaria! Her spasms and leg pain returned.

I drink tonic water with lime whenever I am out and others are having a cocktail and take
a potassium suppliment now.

Diane

tonic water with lime... brand names such as Canada Dry, etc so it actually contains the quinine. (check the label) I tried Baclofen, disliked that it made me feel weaker.

GNC stores sell a pill called Leg Cramps that has Quinine in it. Never tried it because was on the real stuff.

AL.

Al I actually bought some of that the other day, we will see.

Good luck with it! It didn't do anything for me. I chewed those little pills 3 and four at a time.

Kim they did not work for you? Everytime I see your picture I think of Leave it to Beaver for some reason..lol

Re: Quinine

During my diagnostic journey, back when we were exploring if I had Sjögren’s Syndrom, I was on Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil). At this point I did not know that quinine was a treatment for leg cramps, so I was not paying attention to that aspect. However, my cramps did lessen considerably after I was on it for a couple of weeks. My point being, that perhaps it takes a while to have an effect. Don't know, as I was not thinking that my cramps meant anything important, and was not taking Plaquenil to relieve them. None of my doctors cared about the cramps back then, they seemed unrelated at the time.

Do understand that long term use of quinine has side effects which can damage vision, so its preferable to get a safer amount via otc tablets or the tonic water.

Last edited:
OK so I took Quinine about 3+ years. Now I need glasses. Is it the diabetes, quinine or the masturbating? One way or the other, something's going to get you. Choose your poison LOL.

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back