Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
AK
City
Anchorage
Hello and thank you to all the forum members - some of you make me laugh and sometimes I cry when I get on here, but I appreciate all the valuable information I have gotten from this site. I read it daily for a couple of months before I joined, and have posted a few times, but here it is two months later and have never actually written an introduction.

My hero, my husband Gary, has a different story than many of you who waited months and even years anticipating an ASL diagnosis. He broke his back 5 years ago that required fusing vertebrae and months of recovery. The injury left him with some sensory changes in his left leg, mostly tingling and numbness in the thigh and some intermittent pain, but he was finally able to go back to work full time. He retired 3 years ago, but really enjoyed his work and could work part time up to 50 hours a month without losing his pension, so continued to do that to get away from me a little, I think. Anyway, when he started feeling a lack of balance and unsteadiness, he attributed it to the previous back injury. He went to his GP August 2009, and was sent for an MRI of the brain and back, which showed nothing. When the symptoms didn't go away, he returned in April 2010 to ask about a referral to a neurologist. He was seen in May, and subsequently had EMG/NCV tests and a ton of lab work. At the time, he was told, "I don't see anything I can treat." To us, that meant there wasn't anything going on with his back that she could fix. But she did offer to refer him to Dr. Michael Weiss at the University of Washington Medical Center for a second opinion. Since we have a daughter and son-in-law who live in the area, we are always happy for an excuse to go visit, so made the arrangements for a September 1, 2010 appointment at UWMC. She also gave him an AFO prescription for his foot drop and for PT. We NEVER imagined that the problem could be anything but his back causing these symptoms. (In retrospect, I am glad the first neurologist did not tell us of her suspicions, as it gave us a few months of blissful ignorance. We now know that when the first tests were done he only showed UMN/LMN degeneration in 2 regions.)

Fast forward to September: After a repeat on the EMG and NCV studies, and a break for Dr. Weiss to review the test results, he delivered a definitive ALS diagnosis. Talk about being floored! We thought he was going to tell us about some miracle surgery he could do to "fix" that old back; instead we walked out of there dumbstruck with this new diagnosis. You all know the rest of the story of trying to soak it all in and wondering what comes next.

Four months later finds Gary with weakness in his left leg that causes a significant limp, and some weakness also in the right leg. He often uses a cane when he leaves the house. He was seen at the local ALS clinic in December, and takes Rilutek. He has always been a pretty active guy with fixer upper projects and such, but cannot carry much by himself any longer due to his imbalance. He falls several times a week. As far as he can tell, his upper body is not affected by weakness yet, but fasciculation in his hands and arms can be seen. He has yet to tell his 3 brothers or dad (who all live in other states) about this horrible disease, but did share with our three adult children (one local, two in college elsewhere) right away.

I guess I have rambled on long enough - I should offer a prize to anyone who actually reads this whole thing! We are striving to discover delight and beauty in every day rather than allow ALS to consume our lives. Some days are better than others...

Very sorry about your husband. Is your name Jo? I know the shock. My husband was diagnosed in October, now I can hardly understand his speech. Eight months ago I would have never dreamed our world would be so changed. Welcome to the family though!

Jo (hope that's your name!), Gary's story must have thrown you guys for a loop after the back injury. I hope that he progresses slowly, and honestly, without the back injury, he is progressing much as I did--slowly. I advise getting a rollator, and if he hasn't done so, finding the ALS local folks as well as the MDA. Otherwise, getting the house set for the future is really important...a ramp, taking up rugs which wheelchairs eat... as do rollators sometimes. And a dream bathroom is an all tiled one with a drain. Joel C's page and also Mare's are two that come to mind as they have pictures of great bathrooms. Since Gary is good with projects, he'll be great at overseeing this at the very least.

Sorry if I'm too full of advice--We regret not making out house work and had to rush into my inlaws house very suddenly when my loaner wheelchair (the big kind with tilt, recline, etc.) wouldn't work in our house.
Ann

Yes, my name is Jo, and thank you Joni and Ann for the warm welcome, and also the tips. I invite you to offer any and all advice you can give me! Gary is reluctant to move forward with any remodeling yet, much to my dismay. He wants to remain "normal" as long as possible, and doing something to the house would force him to admit to others that he has ALS. I have explored Joel's wonderful website a lot, but wasn't aware of Mare's - I'll be sure to check that out. He is registered with MDA, which includes ALS here, and I understand they have a really good loaner closet. He is already getting SSDI and is on Medicare - that proved to be a very simple process for him, although he is only 63. He hasn't used it yet, but his driver's license needed to be renewed in December and he was able to get a handicap permit for the car, just in case. I pray that the progression is slow and he doesn't need to use it for a long, long time.

Joni, I agree this really does turn your life upside down. I'm sorry that your husband's disease is moving so quickly.

Welcome. The folks here will help you more than any doctor, nurse or association. They are warm and welcoming, but candid. I couldn't survivie this without them. Ask any question that comes to mind. Someone will always get back to you within a short period of time. Listen to Ann. She has great words of wisdom. Joel is a wealth of information. Barry will keep you laughing. Lori can put her finger on information in a matter of minutes. I could go on and on.

Take care and know that you are not alone in this.

Welcome, Jo! Sorry about the situation we find ourselves in.

As for the remodeling, I wish we had started the moment after diagnosed! Now we are struggling to get things done as my husband's symptoms progress to new levels. He also was a "fixer upper." It pains him that he now has to ask for help, especially now that his speech is so hard to understand! So, maybe you can convince him to be proactive in that regard.

Hello Jo and welcome! I agree with everyone else that renovations need to be started before they are needed because, if your husband is like me, he will find that there will be a day when he discovers that something as everyday as using the toilet is really hard. And by that time it is too late because trying to find a tradesman in a hurry is a real problem.

I absolutely hate having to hire someone to do something that I would have had fun and satisfaction in doing myself a few years ago. Especially when they don't do it the right way (my way).

I absolutely hate having to hire someone to do something that I would have had fun and satisfaction in doing myself a few years ago. Especially when they don't do it the right way (my way).

Barry, do you know my husband? haha That's just the way he is.

Thank you for permission to nag (I meant to say nudge) him more to start thinking about working on the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back