Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
ca
State
bc
City
nanaimo
I have written in before about my sister. Her husband is in the hospital and she is very worn out. He went in with pneumonia and blood infection. she needs a rest and the hospital wants to send him home. What can she do?

Sorry, he has als and can hardly eat any more. He can hardly speak.

Lorraine, I don't know how the systems are set up in Canada... no doubt a Canadian will help you more as your post is seen. We have Hospice in the States, including facilities where he might be able to go if you also have them... I wonder how much help in the way of caregivers your brother in law may get in BC. Hope you find some answers!

Lorraine your sister should speak with the hospital social worker. The Vancouver Island Health Authority does have respite care facilities available in your area. She will need to be firm and tell them she needs a break at this time, and just can't take him home until she has a break. In our over stressed medical system, they will pressure her but she needs to be very firm and insist that she cannot do it without a break. She might be best to have you with her when she speaks with the social worker--to provide moral support. I am sorry she is having such a tough time. Also, it sounds like he needs re-assessment by the ALS Clinic for his eating issues which may have caused the pneumonia ie. some aspiration due to inability to swallow.
Laurel

I would just add that maybe the ALS Society of BC might be able to help arrange respite care? I don't know that provincial society or the people involved but I know that the Alberta society are great advocates for us so maybe the BC rep can help.

The ALS Association can certainly help, they are excellent at helping. The health district you are in should be able to provide what you need, the one I am in has offered many times to help with respite or anything we need. They have been excellent!

Good luck!

I want to thank you for your replies. I should have told you that they live in Hamilton Ontario.
Further developements are that my sister told her husband she could no longer do the full home care thing and he agreed to go into a hospice situation when a bed opens. The hospital agreed to keep him until then.

I live in BC and I want to give my sister as much good support as possible. What do I say to her. I do not want her to feel guilty. She really has done everything she could and now needs professional shared help to cope.
I hate ALS! When are we ever going to see a cure? Her husband is a very fine and wonderful person who just wants to be comfortable at home. The disease has cost thousands in renovations, buying all the assisted devices. In canada if you are middle class you foot the bill yourself.

You say to her exactly what you said here.. that she's done a wonderful job in horrible circumstances and you are very proud of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back