Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
XX
City
where it's green
My PALS is supposed to have thyroid surgery soon. His neck muscles have just started to weaken, also. The neuro said the concern during surgery is his weakness, and since they have to trach him during surgery, there is a small chance they might not be able to take him off the vent afterward. He isn't experiencing any breathing difficulties yet.

I'm worried because he is in a nursing home where he can be left to lie there for a long time as it is normally. After the surgery, which is out-patient (!), I'm concerned he wont' be watched over enough. I am in a different state. I'm trying to get him more time in the hospital but don't know if they will.

Hi ccjjcc, first of all welcome to the forum, and yet so sorry you have to be here. I too would be worried for the same reasons you are worried. When my dad was in the nursing home my sister and I called them every 2 hours when we could not be there. They didnt like us, but we didnt care. The best thing of course is for you to be there yourself if you can, but the phone is at least 2nd best. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back