Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
Va
City
Woodbridge
I really don't know how fast ALS progresses, so I'm looking for some input, It seems every time I do any kind of lifting, even something as simple as putting away grocery's, the next morning my arms & chest arm number & stiffer than the day before, rideing in a car does the same thing, so does sitting up in a chair for long periods of time, my legs don't seem to be affected, seems to effect my arms & chest area the most, i did have surgery on my neck (c4-c5-c6) in 08, so I'm wondering if this is normal for this to happen, I know they say everybody is different, but this seems too fast. Thanks!

It's hard to say what is related to your previous condition leading to surgery, and what's simply ALS, or whether the surgery and the ALS possibly could work together. (Not a doctor, just a patient) I assume your onset with ALS is in your arms? Another question is whether you have more upper motor or lower motor neuron involvement. Stiffness predominates with upper, but your doctor knows for sure. I'm predominately lower motor (LMN), yet I do have stiffness. Not much spasticity, but I'm stiff, especially in the morning. I cannot answer at all about the numbness. I do have it, where the muscle is quite atrophied (feet) and there's a lot of swelling. Your situation is different.

You are hoping to go to a different hospital for help. I think this is a question for your next doctor to answer, and hope that can happen soon. Meanwhile, I'd try to really use the arms less, don't sit for extended periods, but get up and walk around some. In other words, use the affected areas less... But perhaps someone has insight here and can help you in the meantime.

Ann

It's hard to say what is related to your previous condition leading to surgery, and what's simply ALS, or whether the surgery and the ALS possibly could work together. (Not a doctor, just a patient) I assume your onset with ALS is in your arms? Another question is whether you have more upper motor or lower motor neuron involvement. Stiffness predominates with upper, but your doctor knows for sure. I'm predominately lower motor (LMN), yet I do have stiffness. Not much spasticity, but I'm stiff, especially in the morning. I cannot answer at all about the numbness. I do have it, where the muscle is quite atrophied (feet) and there's a lot of swelling. Your situation is different.

You are hoping to go to a different hospital for help. I think this is a question for your next doctor to answer, and hope that can happen soon. Meanwhile, I'd try to really use the arms less, don't sit for extended periods, but get up and walk around some. In other words, use the affected areas less... But perhaps someone has insight here and can help you in the meantime.

Ann
Hi Ann, thanks for replying, my symptoms are for the most part the same as before I had surgery, from what I've been told I have both upper & lower involvement, but it seems my leg are not too bad, they seem to come and go as far as symptoms go,the one thing I forgot to mention was after I had my surgery I didn't do any thing but lay in bed for almost a year,don't know if that plays into this,as far as walking goes,It feels like somebody is sitting on my shoulders when I walk, going up a flight of stair's is worse, but my legs seem to hold their own, just can't beleive how fast this is attacking my arms,hands and chest. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back