Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
During my last neuro visit, the doc upped my baclofen dosage to 60mg a day (20 x 3). At the same time, he also prescribed gabapentin starting at 300mg a day to be increased to 900mg over a 3 week period.

I've read some of the past threads dealing with gabapentin (along with the long and scary list of possible side-effects) and have decided to put this one on hold.

My thoughts: Why not give the increased dosage of baclofen some time to see if it will help decrease spasticity and thereby decrease spasms/pain?

I received the script for the gabapentin in the mail but will stay from using it.

I think this is just being practical. I wonder why the doc isn't thinking this way...

My Mom's main neuro prescribed gabapentin, a couple of months later when we visited a 2nd neuro who specializes in ALS, he took her off the gabapentin. He comprised a "cocktail" of CoQ10, vit C and vit E. Left her on her high blood pressure med...told her less is better. Mom takes so many pills that she says they fill her up, thus then she doesn't eat much. We see 2nd neuro again this week...I know she's dropped at least 5 lbs since he saw her in May.

Kim, we also recently started the gabapentin, do not know how much it is helping. We go to a REAL clinic on Aug 9, and the first item on my list is a review of all the Meds we take.. I say "WE" but I mean my PALS. I will let you know what is said.

I stopped taking it too. My Dr prescribed it for nerve pain, and I'm pretty certain my pain is not nerve pain. I also heard that the body doesn't absorb bacofen in pill form very well. It works better by way of a pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back