02/2010
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Bergen County
"Patients Face Death, She Fought to Live"

Interesting NY Times article about a practitioner in palliative care who fought her own cancer for many years.

Sometimes I wonder who is worse off (people with ALS) whose very definition leaves no treatment alternative or people with cancer or say MS who suffer for many years?

Sometimes the treatment being the worst aspect

Months to Live - Palliative Care Doctor Fought for Life - NYTimes.com

This really wasn't a post that expected any replies but it gives me some satisfaction some people are viewing it. I hope they read the entire article but it touches on many relevant points about palliative care.

I did read it. I found the dichotomy very interesting. I don't think anyone can say with certainty where they stand until they're sitting in a doctors office being told they are terminally ill. I know where I think I stand but I haven't had to prove it yet.

I agree and that's why that whole thing about a living will is still unresolved for me. What is normal and ok today might not be the same tomorrow. But then maybe that will be ok and the new normal.

It doesn't sound like much sense but with ALS every day does bring changes. Can we accept them and live with them--so far so good but it never gets easier or better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back