Diagnosis
00/2009
Country
US
State
md
City
baltimore
My sister is scheduled with Speech therapist in February.
I was told that a part of speech work up is an articulation test consisting of certain words and phrases.
I would appreciate suggestions where to find these words or phrases, so we can try them out before my sis appt in February.
Happy Holiday Season, Briana

would that not invalidate the test? If she practises them up there will not be a true reading? This is pure speculation on my part so I shall watch other reactions with interest. Best of wishes to you and your sister

Briana,

I second Irismarie's thoughts about practicing for that test. You might not get the true results.

Glen

The best thing is to just go to the test and do it. This is not something to study for, if that is even possible. The idea is to find out how well she speaks, not how much she has practiced. I have been through a few speech tests and I didn't get any better no matter how many times I did what was essentially the same test, in fact I got worse! And nobody is asking me to "say" anything anymore.

I can understand that you might be impatient to wait for February. I had a speech evaluation in May, and the only articulations I remember were to repeat syllables like pa-pa-pa or ka-ka-ka as quickly as I could in ten seconds. Then they have statistics on what is a normal range of speech, but I don't know what the range should be.

Briana,
I know of the Friscoe word articulation test; I'll try sending you a link. There is a sentense articulation test, which I'm not familiar with. Should you find it, I would appreciate if you send it my way. Best wishes Erica

The purpose of the test is to see your speech pattern on that day. If it is like the study I am in, they will have you repeat the test at each visit to gauge any variation or deterioration. This helps build data on bulbar symptoms.

AL.

Al. that is exactly what I was saying. What is the point of preparing except to screw up the results? I understand being anxious about waiting but unless you are an SLP how are you going to evaluate the results or compare them with previous or future results?

Briana ... also, practicing might backfire. Before I was diagnosed, I went to speech therapy for a year, and the execises she gave for me to practice at home exhausted me and (I think) made my speech worse. With ALS, over-using an affected muscle (tongue) doesn't strengthen it, it weakens it.

I agree with the others ... I'm sure they are trying to establish a baseline, to track progress. It's not something she will pass or fail.

It sounds kinda like the test my husband took to see if he needed a speech device. The SLP had a notebook some pgs phases some sentences. She had her back turned to see as someone not use to hearing him could understand the speech. It was funny listening to what came out being unplanned speech.

Briana,

I imagine you and your sister want her to "do well" when she goes for speech eval, but I agree with the others on here. "Practicing" before hand really isn't in her best interest-for all the reasons already given 1. It could backfire on her (fatiguing her muscles) 2. Give a false reading of her actual abilities.

Hang in there and try to stay in the moment (I know...much easier said than done!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back