07/2009
Country
CA
State
California
City
Brentwood
Hello!

Several months ago my husband's thumbs began twitching, I discounted the twitching due to the fact that he has a very stressful job. A few months later, his toes began twitching and we felt it was time for him to see a neurologist.

At the time of his first visit to the neurologist, she asked him to keep track of his twitching; Jay never did being that his hands and feet were twitching all the time. Two weeks ago, he had a follow up appointment, where he had some sort of nerve test, the neurologist told him 'he had some abnormalities in his spinal cord and right side of his body' and proceeded to order an MRI and an arsenal of lab work. At the time, Jay asked the doc if she had any suspicion of what it could be and she said, 'ALS.'

Wednesday, Jay returned to the neuro to go over the results of the MRI and lab. MRI was clean, the lab showed his B6 levels to be high, 63.9 where the norm should be somewhere between 5.0-30.0. His homocysteine levels were high also, 17, where the norm should be between 4-13. He was ordered to take 1 gram of folic acid to lower the homocysteine and to lower his vitamin B6.

Now, I have looked everywhere on the Internet for info on how to lower B6 levels, but found nothing. Further more, just about everything has B6 in it, so how do I go about helping him lower the count?

While at the appointment, I flat out asked the neuro if we should still be concerned with ALS, she said, ‘no; however, I still want you to keep an eye on the ‘fat’ between his thumb and pointer finger, if you notice a change, come in asap.’ If she was no longer concerned with ALS, why should we be watching out for this?

Jay is due to return to her office, for a follow up lab in four months, IF his B6 levels have not dropped by then, further testing will be ordered.

I read somewhere on the Internet that high level B6 could be related to ALS. Is there any truth to that?

Also, I should note that after Jay’s meeting with the neuro last week, his twitching got worse. I happened to be on a business trip, when I returned, his twitching has gotten better, in fact, I don’t think he has had any twitching since Tuesday, when I arrived.

I just don’t know what to think anymore? I’m scared for him and for our family. I’ve been perusing the Internet looking for other causes that can lead to high B6 levels, but I can’t seem to find anything.

I don’t even know if I’ve given you a clear picture of what’s happening, my apologies in advance but I am very nervous and scared.

Based on what I’ve written what do you think Jay ought to do? How can he go about reducing his B6 count? Should he seek further testing, if so, which one’s? Should he see another doctor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
ASN

Does he have any weakness at all?

Was there ANY clinical support for the ALS suspicion? Abnormal reflexes, spasticity, weakness, etc?

Has there been any symptoms besides twitching?

If no, then I would say she is a quack for even mentioning it the first time around. I can't begin to help on the B6 problem - she should have told you how to work on that, or his family doc could.

Sorry I could not help more, but the "nerve" test, if it was an EMG, does not diagnose ALS - it only supports a clinical exam. What they see on an EMG is wide open and can be caused by many things in most cases. Rest easy and good luck on the B6 thing.

Oh, and if there are no symptoms besides twitching, find another doctor.

Does he have any weakness at all?

Was there ANY clinical support for the ALS suspicion? Abnormal reflexes, spasticity, weakness, etc?

Has there been any symptoms besides twitching?

If no, then I would say she is a quack for even mentioning it the first time around. I can't begin to help on the B6 problem - she should have told you how to work on that, or his family doc could.

Sorry I could not help more, but the "nerve" test, if it was an EMG, does not diagnose ALS - it only supports a clinical exam. What they see on an EMG is wide open and can be caused by many things in most cases. Rest easy and good luck on the B6 thing.

Oh, and if there are no symptoms besides twitching, find another doctor.

No, no there was no clinical support for the ALS suspicion at all other than his twitching. Oh, and perhaps the fact that according to their records, Jay had lost 8 lbs since his last visit 6 months ago. We think that the weight 'change' had something to do with their scale being wrong because Jay's weight has been at 185 for years.

Yes, I believe the nerve test was an EMG, Jay two tests were conducted; one with accupuncture like needles and the second with some sort of machine that sents shocks to his nerves.

No, no symptoms other than the twitching and vibrating type feeling of his leg, which began recently, but has not happened since Tuesday.

Thanks for the info.

asantiago,

the link you posted I read earlier today, it's what prompted me to become a member of this blog and inquire about B6 levels and its relation to ALS.

Thanks though.

The test he had was an NCV/EMG - it tests the motor and sensory nerves.

I'm surprised the doc would even do one with no clinical symptoms other than twitching. Most reputable docs won't even suggest one unless the patient associated twitches with ALS and insisted on one. By the way, twitches can be caused by many, many things, and most of them benign. My muscles have twitched for 20 years - all over.

Get ALS off your radar, work on the B6 thing, and find another doctor is my advice.

Again, best wishes.

How cruel of that doctor! What are her credentials as a neuro? NO doc wants to even give you a hint that you could possibly have ALS without very substantiated information they have gathered from many, many tests.

I agree with ktmj - get another doc and research the B6 thing!

Good luck to y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back