Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Lucas Co.
I've been reading your forum for a few days, trying to find the answers I'm seeking without imposing the same questions that have probably been asked over and over.

My father has been having issues with his throat for nearly a year and a half now. It started with mild choking and has progressed to only being able to consume soft foods/liquids, while still choking. About 8 months ago, we thought his tongue was swelling, which made it difficult to speak and even swallow his saliva. His neurologist informed him that his tongue actually isnt swelling, its shrinking. The neurologist has suggested ALS after an abnormal EMG. Yet, his MRI was clean (to his knowledge). I've asked about twitching, and he says he cant recall any. He is also increasingly tripping, and has a shuffling gait.

I have a hard time believing that a professional would toss around such a diagnosis without being fairly certain. He is referring him to the Cleveland Clinic for another test to confirm the suspicions. Most articles and informational websites talk about ALS symptoms starting in the extremities, which kind of throws me off. I realize that nobody can offer a diagnosis, but I'm hoping for an honest opinion.

cdtmmi ... Your father will certainly get the best doctors and diagnostic tests available at Cleveland Clinic. I hope his neuro is wrong, but there are suggestive symptoms in what you describe.

ALS most often starts in the limbs, but about 25% of the time, it starts in the "bulbar" area of the brain, which controls speech and swallowing, so this is a possibility. Twitching is not a symptom of ALS onset; when it appears, it is often very mild and almost always shows up after the disease has progressed for a while.

There are many "mimic" diseases that have similar symptoms to ALS, so it is good that your father is going to a top-notch clinic, where they can sort things out. These neurological conditions are incredibly complicated and hard to narrow down.

Good luck to you both. I hope you get good news at the clinic.

Cdtmmj,

Best wishes for your dad's upcoming Cleveland Clinic appointment. Please let us know how it goes.

Good luck to your father.

My husband started with bulbar issues at the same time he had a hand issue.

ALS sure strikes each person differently and also progresses differently.

Keep strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back