Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
Hertfordshire
City
Watford
First of all I would like to say that I am a hypochondriac, and ALS is only one of the diseases that I have worried about having in the past. Secondly I would like to say that I know I'm an idiot, and I know that I have a problem. I feel very sorry for all the sufferers of various diseases who have to put up with us idiot's who worry we have a certain disease when we know deep down that we're okay. Then we come onto message boards like these and complain to you, the actual people who have the disease. I can't thank you all enough for even listening, you're hearts are a lot greater than mine. I know if I got a disease, listening to people worry about it without actual symptoms would do my head in. So you guys really are true saints to do this and talk to mostly idiots who can't think rationally. So anyway, here's the story of one more idiot who hopefully you can help.

Over a year ago I noticed my toes on both my feet would twitch. It wasn't the usual type of twitch that would be under the skin, instead it actually moved the toe for a fraction of a second and then returned to where it was. It happened every few minutes but stopped if I had it on the ground. There was also a tingling sensation, and a few propper twitches but not many. After about 2 weeks it stopped and since then it's barely happened. I rarely noticed it for the last year, which is either because it didn't happen or it certainly wasn't as bad as it was during that two week period. However for the last 5-6 days the problem that happened a year ago has started up again, and I've been experiencing the same twitches mainly on my right foot but also sporadically on my left. On top of that it feels a little odd when I walk, but I'm pretty sure that's to do with me stressing about my feet and not a problem. As per usual, I've been worrying about this continiously for the past week so I've been performing tests on myself every day, trying to judge if there's been any weakness. So far I've found no difference between each foot, and I can walk on my toes and heels without any difficulty.

A lot of the reason why I've been worrying about this is because I have a lot of time on my hands, so I have plenty of time to research conditions such as ALS. When I'm doing something though, which takes my mind off my feet I barely notice the twitch, and when I wear socks and shoes I don't get it all. I have twitches every now and again at random parts of my body but all I need to do is flex the muscle and it dissapears. Also I have a slight eyelid twitch that usually signals that I'm tired or over tired. I do have very bad sleeping patterns so I sleep for 12 hours some days, 5 the next. The only thing today that's a bit different is that after I mowed the lawn my right calf started aching a bit and has done for about 2 hours or so when I move it. There doesn't appear to be any difference in strength but it does just ache, perhaps this is just a coincedence because mowing the lawn is sort of rigorous as it's on a slight hill. When I keep the leg still the ache's fine, but after I move it it aches for a little bit. I can do everything with it still, and it's the leg where most of the twitches have been.

I know that realistically, all I need to do is wait a few days to see if it persists and if it doesn't then it's fine and my leg was just slightly strained. But as I do have this twitch per say it's just made me think. So if anyone with experience in this condition can see how stupid I've been then please tell me. I'm not overly worried about this, because I can see how unrealistic this is that I do have it, especially at my age being only 19. Still though I'd like a little reassurance as I feel this would definately put my fears to rest. What I'm thinking about now that's easing my mind is that I had something very similiar to this a year ago that went after about 2 weeks, and I'm only half way there so I've got a bit to wait. Also, I'm thinking that if I had ALS, after a year it would of shown some symptoms other than a toe twitch right? Especially when it's hardly got any worse, and it's been a year since I experienced it. What really made me worry less is that while reading on the internet I found an article about BFS twitches and this exact twitch (in a finger but it said twitches could be anywhere) was in there, and it also said that BFS twitches can last in one area for weeks or even years. Especially when you stress about it you can create some of the symptoms and make the slight symptoms worse. That helped a lot, and I'm really thinking about that now. However I just need that extra push of ressurance to get me over the line and stop worrying, so if anyone can help I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks a lot for even reading.
Dave.

Ok here we go AGAIN.. YOU surely do not sound like you have ALS, not even remotely. We are not doc's here and cannot examine people, but surely most people who come on here like you do NOT HAVE ALS... Stop worrying... And the rest of you stop worrying...

Hi Kesteral ... ALS does not start with twitches. It's as simple as that.

You should get to a doctor immediately.

A psychiatrist that can help you deal with the hypochondria.

BTW, you don't have ALS.

Dave,

Perhaps throw in a hobby that takes you away from the computer, and eats up that free time. Preferrably something outdoors that reduces your anxiety level a bit.

Take care,

Robert

Thank you all for your responses. I am sorry if in any way my thread offended people as I can't help but feel slightly responsible for the thread titled "we are the people facing ALS." I understand that my fears with only twitching were irrational, and usually I wouldn't be posting again however there's been some developments. I mentioned in my first post that I had some awkwardness while walking. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems as if my right toe that had the twitch has now curled inwards and is sort of rubbing against the 4th toe. Just wonder if anyone's had anything similiar?

You were not the reason for the post's.. It was not one person per se and that is for sure. I cannot say about the toe, could be a number of things, can you explain it a little more.

Well I'd like to explain it a little more but I'm just not sure myself. Is there anything you or anyone else has experienced with their toes that you could describe to me? Is there such thing as toe drop? How the hell can you detect weakness in the toes? I can still moves my toes easily and clench them. Is that a way to detect strength? Push down on toes and see if you can straighten them?

Can you walk on your tip toes without falling over? Barefoot.

AL.

I can yeah, although my pinky toe barely contributes to standing on my tip toes so I don't know how well it measures the strength of that toe. Can ALS start in a single toe? I haven't read any reports on that but I'm sure it's possible. Do you think if I can stand on my tip toes then that's a sign of no weakness? Because the muscles that controls the toes are in the leg I believe? Are there even muscles in the toes? When trying to compre the strength of toes both feet are pretty much equal in terms of pressing down on my toes with my fingers and then pushing up. I do have some aches in both my legs, although primarily my right. I don't know if that's significant or not.

Don't think it starts in a single toe. Aches in legs could be from many things. I think you've started worrying about ALSway too soon.

AL

You're probably right. I have forgotten to mention that I am slightly hypothyroid, which could explain a lot of this. I'm going to see the doctor just to see what he thinks, but unless it becomes significantly worse and does sound like ALS I'm not going to be posting here again. So you'll have one less irrational idiot to deal with :) Thanks for all your help. You're all so courageous, I don't know how you do it. I'll be praying that you all get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back