Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sacramento
Hello,

I have posted here a couple of times and many of you were kind enough to answer my questions. I am hoping I can put upon the forum for a little more information.

A little while ago I had a clean clinical exam with a neuro. I did not have an EMG. He said he would do it but was, "95% sure it would be normal." Seemed reasonable to not have it done.

A few days after the exam, many of my twitches and jerks had subsided or disappeared, reaffirming to me what many have said about the effect of stress.

However, my one lingering symptom is in my left hand. My fingers "feel" like they want to curl up into a fist, although they don't. In addition, the pad of my thumb has numerous twitches in the same place and the muscles ache on and off. Also, my palm feels "achy and crampy" and the muscles constantly feel tight, although i have lost no flexibility.

One additional item, my hand and my forearm "feel" weak. I am certain, at this point, there is no actual weakness because of clinical exam and being able to do everything I normally do.

As I understand, these symptoms, were they related to ALS, would be preceded by "actual" weakness. However, my concern stems from the fact that my previous twitches and Jerks were all over and not focused in one spot. Now, they all seem focused on my hand and forearm and seem to have added the dimension of "wanting to curl up and and feeling crampy.

Are these anything to be concerned about? Would you recommend the EMG for medical reasons (I may have it done for psychological reasons anyway).?

Thank you very much.

Hey HRB02,

I am far from an expert on ALS , I just have it.

I would get the EMG , if not to completely rule out this horrble disease. Something else to relieve the stress levels.

Glen

Glen,

Thanks for the response. I think I will get the EMG.

In the mean time, do any of these symptoms sound familiar? Suspicious? anything to worry about?

Thanks

Hi Glen,
The EMG and nerve conduction studies sound like a good plan. What you describe could be many things i.e. carpal tunnel, CIDP etc. Hubby has CIDP with an assymetrical presentation i.e. one arm and one leg (although the EMG and nerve conduction studies show all four limbs affected). Hubby started with weak grip which down the pike got worse leading to an atrophied rt. hand and drop foot. CIDP is an autoimmune disease which is treatable. But early diagnosis is important as husband was misdiagnosed and now has permanent damage. Good luck.
Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back