Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ny
State
new york
City
valley stream
Hello, its been a while since i posted, my fears have gone down quite a bit. I just have a new worry, lately when ive eaten, not all the time but some of the times, it feels like food is stuck in my chest. It doesnt happen everytime i eat but sometimes it does, and it does not go away. I need to consist swallow air and burp because it feels like it has no digisted all the food. Eventually within a few hours it does. I have twitching all over which doesnt really worry me, but i do have some twitching in my throat area. But not all the time. Ive read into dysphgia i believe its called, and sometimes swallowing problems is the first sign. My voice was horse for a while but that went away. I dont have slurred speech, and i dont twitch on my tounge. I am 23 years old mind you, it always leaves me feeling like im short of breath when this is going on. Ive heard somethings about bulbar onset and i heard its rare amongst people who are younger in als, im not sure though. Ive also experienced the feeling of my jaw being tired, but that comes and goes. Im nervous, because it feels like the food isnt going down all the way. Ive had twitching for a couple of months now, with no real weakness in other places. If anyone could help me with this, i would greatly appreciate it. Mind you this does not happen everytime i eat, just certain times. I hear with als there is no good times or bad times, it just get worse. Any insite woudl be great thanks so much!

Also i should just bring something up, i dont think its progressively gotten worse. I just noticed it about a week ago, it does not happen everytime i eat either. Is it crazy to think of bulbar onset at such a young age. Im very confused how bulbar shows its self first, whether it be swallowing difficulty or problems with speech. Mine isnt so much as its difficult to swallow, its it feels like there is something stuck in my chest lower esophgues. It its realived by burping but it just stays there. sorry just had to add that

Hi, my experience with bulbar als started off with slurred speech which has consistently and steadily gotten worse. I did not have swallowing problems at the beginning and when they did start to appear months later they were problems with my tongue and its inability to move food to be chewed and swallowed. That doesn't sound like what you are descibing.

I am bulbar and my symptoms came on exactly as Barryg described.... Plus your age is totally against bulbar ALS. Does not sound anything like it to me.

Isle667,

Have you ever been tested for acid reflux? Shortness of breath, trouble swallowing, hoarse voice, and odd sensations in your chest while eating are all common symptoms. It is also exacerbated by stress and anxiety.

Take care,

Robert

thankyou guys so much for the replys! Yes i am going to make an appointment with my gastro, and find out what this is. Plus i was told the progression of something like this wont come and go one day to the next, you wont feel better one day and then it will come back then go away for a few days, once it starts it does not stop. Am i correct?

I went to an ENT for hoarse voice and a lumb feeling in my throat. I had thought that acid reflux was a burning pain only, kinda like what I had when pregnant but he said Ihave LPR. It is a form of gerd that feels like a lump rather than pain or burning. My vocal cords were also irritated. I would say my hoarse voice went away (I think it was allergies due to the fact it was summer and there was alot of cotten). My friend went to ent and she polyps on her cords, got the removed and now fine

you can go to gastro, but if your thraot is bugging you the ENT can look down it with a tube in his office.

Good luck

You are right, I don't have good days and bad days, everyday is a good day!

Thankyou guys so much for the replys, and you are right everyday is a goodday! Im starting to believe that it is indeed acid reflux that is bothering to me, one thing that really still keeps me worried is sometimes my chin or face will twitch, but i do twtich everywhere, so im assuming that it is BFS.

so again should i just try and get the thought out of my head. Most people say slurred speech and tounge problems were the first onset. Im hoping my age is weighing the odds in my way. It feels like my throat is tighten up and a lump in my throat, and its bothering me because of the twitching. im just so scared. im hoping for the best

You know, I think that this whole twitching thing is so overblown. I've never had ANY significant twitching and maybe that's just me but...

Isle~

That is EXACTLY what my throat felt like, tight and a lump. You will never believe this but after I started taking lexapro for my anxiety about this whole issue my throat tightness went away! It is the only sx that ever went away. I had a tight throat on and off for most my life and I have been anxious all my life so I think the throat tightness had to be anxiety, even though I never believed one doctor that told me it was! bUt it is gone. I still get the lump and it does not seem tied to my eating but some I will have days or weeks that Idont feel it and then days were it is so big that my eyes water when I swallow. I get twitches in my face too, and I get tight weird feelings in my chin.

I would try to put this behind you but it would not hurt to see an ENT, and have them look down your throat. THey put tube in through your nose and can see your throat. It will make you feel better to have doc tell you or take a look

good luck!

I agree with Barry on the twitching. It is so minor an issue, it really shouldn't even be included as a "symptom" of ALS.

I've had twitching in my arms and face, but I have to look hard to find them. (Some in my face I only noticed when I was looking in a magnifying mirror.) I've never had any twitching that rises to the level of annoyance. Most I cannot feel, although some I can.

I have yet to read or hear any PALS complain about twitching. That may just be my faulty memory, but to me, it is simply a non-issue, and it is sad to see people come on this forum terrified of ALS because they have twitches. If what you're worried about is twitching, then that points away from ALS.

And reading through this thread, here's a reminder to all lurkers and to Isle667: In her response, "Awielaba" said she identifies with ISLE667's symptoms, as they are exactly what she experiences.

Read her whole message about anxiety, and don't just jump on that first statement. She does not have ALS, and has had a couple clean EMGs and neuro evaluations to prove it. So, if you are identifying with her symptoms, then that fact alone also points AWAY from ALS.

Hi, I've noticed a lot of twitching on mum.. it's disturbing to watch. i read something that people with fascics on more than two limbs have a worse prognosis. it's scary to see all those little twitches moving under the skin.

Yes Beth,

I dont want anyone to jump on my 'exactly' statement. I was just saying that I went to ENT who did DX me LPR, a form of gerd. SO, I was trying to reassure Isle667 that those sx are alot like LPR and anxiety NOT ALS. And, that my throat tightness went away after lexapro.

~april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back