Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Downers Grove
Hey all, I’m 20 and irritated with my problems, I’m sure you have heard of these bios before so I’ll keep it short but here’s mine…

At the beginning of this year I began noticing a tremor in my right arm. I originally thought it was nothing because it would happen when I wake up at night. It progressively got worse along with intense eye pain, headaches, and dizziness. I went to a doc and was told I was having nose infection. (Which I knew I didn’t, because I knew what those felt like but just accepted the diagnosed)
Went to an eye doc, said my eyes were perfectly fine. All was well…kinda.

Since the beginning of the year my symptoms have not gone away. I suffer through everything nervous system related. I ended up seeing an ear, nose, throat doc after my problems did not go away. He ended up saying that it was panic attacks. (This will be a reoccurring theme) But I told him I wanted an MRI and he gave it to me.
I take the MRI (brain) to a Nero Doc, and at this point in time, he figured it was stress. So he gave me super powerful stress meds, no help. Came back, gave me even stronger meds, no luck. Came back one more time for good measure, the Doc decided to give it one more shot and give me the strongest meds he had. No luck. So now I haven’t seen the Doc in a couple months fearing what may happen next time I show. Oh, MRI was fine.

- What scares me the most now is that I still can walk normally but, my left leg seems jammed or weighted. It’s like it doesn’t want to help my right leg walk. I’ve noticed myself kind of tip sideways at times but always reposition my feet to find balance before a fall.

As of now...

- Any part of my body will twitch constantly, mostly though on my neck, face and legs. I will twitch a lot on the bottom of my feet too. About a month ago my legs developed a terrible muscle pain. Mostly on my legs and thighs. Especially on my left leg. Twitching recently has gotten really bad with-in the last month.

- My fingers will feel tingly and sometimes will become very painful, like someone stabbing a nail in my fingers. At times this will happen with my toes. My lips and mouth also feel tingly. When this happens to the side of my mouth my face feels like it’s sagging.

- My body will itch at times during the day.

- At times I have a tough time swallowing, and my neck feels stiff, like a real tight rubber band.

- Every night, before sleep, right on schedule, all these symptoms will come to life. Twitching and moving taking over my body for awhile.

- The most annoying thing at night is that I have uncontrolled body movements, mostly with my neck and head. I also have these terrible flashing lights with my eyes that occur with the slightest noise or sound.

For months I figured ALS would be so rare for a twenty year old to obtain. (Or so I’m told) Now though, I feel that I’m running out of options before I hear the DX that I’m completely dreading. Another problem that I’m encountering is that Docs has said its stress so many times, that my entire family has taken up the talking points. Thinking like I’m nuts. You know what stresses me out though? Being told I’m too stress…

I left out some details but I figure you get the jest of things.

Couple of questions…

I will see the nero Jan 5, and was wondering is there anything I should ask the Doc specifically relating to Als/Mnd.

Does this sound similar to what you guys have?

Tips, suggestions?

Any replies greatly appreciated!

One last thing I forgot, the calf muscle on my left leg is slightly smaller than the one on my right. It's shrunk a bit.

Hi, Jack ... Whatever you've got ... and you've clearly got something ... does NOT sound like ALS. Not at all. The dizziness, headaches, eye and leg pain, tingling, flashing lights and uncontrolled movements are not related to ALS.

The most annoying thing at night is that I have uncontrolled body movements, mostly with my neck and head. I also have these terrible flashing lights with my eyes that occur with the slightest noise or sound.

I'm not a doctor or nurse or in any way knowledgeable about medicine ... but it sure sounds to me like you're having seizures. Are you seeing the same neuro as before on January 5? Did you tell him about the uncontrolled movements, headaches and flashing lights when you saw him?

If I were you, I'd print out the message you just posted here, and give it to the neuro. Sometimes it's hard to communicate to a neuro (or any doctor) because we forget things we wanted to mention, or the doctor is not really paying attention. Give him this list of symptoms in writing. And if he dismisses you without further testing, I'd get a second opinion.

Good luck. Please let us know what happens at your next visit.

I agree Jack, you might have something but it's not ALS. If wright was around he might hazard a guess but I won't. Pretty slow around here for the next week or so. Try to enjoy Christmas and hopefully the new year will bring answers.

AL.

Hey Jack

Well it sure sounds like you have something happening to you but it sure doesn't sound a thing like ALS to me. I'm going to venture a guess and say that the muscle twitching is what pointed you in that direction. Other than your muscle twitches, nothing at all points toward it. As I'm sure you also know (because you have been all over the internet), twitching is also caused by a gazillion other things.

Have you had any blood work done? Your global symptoms sound like it could be some type of vasculitis, which can cause all kinds of symptoms, many of which you have indicated in your history. Without knowing any specifics of your condition, I simply can't venture any more guesses . . . and that is certainly all they would be (no one can be diagnosed over the internet). Was your MRI with and without contrast?

You ask what you should ask your physician when you see him/her: simply give your history in detail and let them go from there.

In the meantime, do your best to be calm and please don't worry about ALS, because nothing you state indicates it is even on the radar.

Jack,

What are you taking for the anxiety, Did you notice the symptoms getting worse with the increase in meds?

I agree with the others that it doesn't sound like ALS.

Thanks all for the replies, it really helps a lot. I went to a chiropractor/natural medicine doctor and he suggested that my symptoms are MS related....great. Another disease I knew I had similarities with.

He's putting me on a detox for a month. This will help us figure out if the problem is nutritional or not. I see the nero Sat, I'll update what happens then.

Wright, unfortunately I have no idea. I've done blood work and from what I know, I think I'm all healthy their. I definitely will give the guy the list I wrote to see if we think if its MS or not.

Crystal, the anxiety/panic pills I took were extremely powerful because I remember goggling what they did. Unfortunately this was 4-6 months ago and I cant remember any of them. They had no effect on me what so ever, besides making me dizzy at times.

I hope all of you have very slow progressions during the new year. Thanks for the help.

So you're seeing a chiro who suggests you have MS related symptoms and wants to detox you to see if it's nutritional? I don't recall any studies relating nutrition to MS. I'm not a doctor but I think I'd put my faith in the Neuro. Just an opinion. I don't put much faith in the whole detox thing. When the damage is done in things neurological it's pretty much irreversible. Dirty foot water and pooping green for a month don't really do much for you but can make some guys pretty rich.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back