Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Orlando
I’m 32 and I had a question about ALS and a recent EMG I just had done yesterday.

My neurologist said everything looked “normal” during my EMG scan, but I never got a final report. He did both my legs and my right arm...he said he only does two arms if something looks weird and mine looked normal.

While doing the exam my right leg and right arm was done rather quickly with no issues. He did seem to focus more on my left leg, but said “not to worry” that it was taking longer than my right.

At one point when he was doing my left leg he told me to press my toes down, when I did we heard the buzzing/clicking noise that normally occurs during the EMG when using the muscle. But when I relaxed it, we heard some light buzzing/clicking noise that continued...which DEFINITELY concerned me. He then grabbed my left foot and bent it further up into the “relaxed” position and the buzzing/clicking noise went away.

He continued the exam and said not to worry because if they were ALS fasciculations he wouldn’t have been able to stop them by bending my foot back into the relaxed position...he actually said there would be nothing he could do to get them to stop.

He said sometimes during an EMG you can hit a muscle with the needle and it misfires (which mine did) and that’s completely normal if he can move my foot to make the sound go away when it’s relaxed.

At the end of the day he said my exam was normal, but I thought I’d come here and ask if anyone had some additional knowledge on what he told me. Is it true that ALS fascinations won’t ever go away during an EMG? I got a bit nervous that I heard the clicking/buzzing sound when my foot was relaxed, but he was able to make it go away after pushing it further back into the relaxed position.

Let me know if that explains everything or if you need any additional details.

Everything he said is plausible, but why were you having an EMG and thinking of ALS?

And of course you are entitled to the final report when available. Whatever your status, for your own health and safety it's advisable to keep a copy of all your own test results.

Best,
Laurie

I started having random twitches a while back, they came from nowhere.

I saw a neurologist and they did an MRI and bloodwork and it was normal.

I told him that even though I’m young, I’ve never had this happen before, so he decided to do an EMG and Nerve Test. Here’s an example of my leg twitching.

[video removed, not helpful]

The reason I’m asking is because I wasn’t sure if what he said is true or if he was just trying to ease my fears. Is it true ALS fasciculations never go away? That will make be feel better because when he flexed my foot back into a more relaxed position the clicking/buzzing noise went away.

Another thing, I told him my chin was twitching and he told me not to worry since my lips weren’t twitching. Well, low and behold my lip started twitching a few days back. Here’s a video of my lip actively twitching after smiling.

[video removed- not helpful]

Do I need to call him back and let him know about my lip twitching? I notice when opening my mouth my tongue is still, but when I stick my toungue out partially it starts to shake and twitch...I cannot hold it still. Is that normal?

Thanks again for your help, I try not to worry about these things but every time I twitch I get worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back