Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Plano
Hi all,

I am a 20 year old male with some symptoms that I fear might be from ALS. For the past 5 days, I've noticed a feeling of weakness in my left arm and left leg. It feels more difficult to pick up objects with my left arm. I've also noticed periodic, slight pain that comes in short bursts in my left shoulder and left arm, and fingers. This pain has spread to my right arm as well, although not as frequent. Would these be symptoms of ALS? Thank you for your time.

Have you read the "READ BEFORE POSTING" thread pinned to the top of the DIHALS subforum? It really does provide all sorts of information and reassurance about random symptoms.

You would be better off seeing a physio to check posture, fitness and a structural assessment to see if there's exercises to help you with pain (not a sign of ALS, as per the READ BEFORE POSTING). A "feeling" of weakness is not the same as genuine, objective and medically observed clinical weakness. A physio would be able to assess for that and provide feedback.

You’re 20 years old and you’ve had symptoms for 5 days. You’re worried about ALS. Seriously???

I’ll second ShiftKicker’s recommendations on seeing a physical therapist. Very likely your problems are mechanical— that is, related to posture, overuse, strain (which is really overuse), or injury. This can lead to muscle tension known as myofascial pain.

Make sure you’re also getting adequate rest and hydration. Occasionally an under active thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can present this way, but generally comes on more gradually. ALS does not cause pain except in more advanced stages when muscles have failed and atrophied.

Nothing in your post suggests ALS. Your fears are getting the better of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back