Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sacramento
I have noticed tonight that my ring finger on my right hand is slightly weaker than my ring finger on my left hand. When I put my hands on a table and tap those two fingers up and down, my right hand ring finger doesn't tap as hard as the left one. And I can't quite grip as heavy an item (milk carton) with my thumb and right ringer finger as I can with my left. I also can't quite lift my right ring finger as high off the table with my palms flat as I can with my left ring finger.

I have another appointment with my doctor next week, as things haven't gotten better since my appointment in August. I still have clumsiness/slowness in my right hand, morning weakness (weak grip strength) that improves as the day goes on, as well as the feeling of fatigue and weakness in my right leg. So far I pass all the strength tests on my leg (toes, heel walking) as well as my right hand (pulling fingers apart, etc.) that my doctor did on me last time. I have heavy twitching in my legs and feet, especially my right calf and foot and my right "ring" toe, that comes and goes.

I also think my typing is off on my right side, I mistype a lot on that side. I have also noticed that I've been dropping things like my phone, pen, fork, etc. on the initial grasp, but then I can re-grasp it and not drop it. It's like I need to think about it to handle it properly. I also have the occasional pain on the top of my hand and play of my hand, especially after working on the computer for a long time but I don't know if that is related or something totally different.

On my right hand, I can't do the star-trek "love long and prosper" sing quite as wide as I can do on my left.

I'm pretty scared that this is the early stages of ALS.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts.

Best,
ATL
(37/M)

Last edited:
Tendinitis or arthritis would be more common and more likely explanations for your hand symptoms than ALS. The fact your hand symptoms are worse on awakening and improve as the day goes on suggests the possibility of joint inflammation.

I suggest you see your doctor, get an exam, hand X-rays, and some blood tests. Have you tried antiinflammatories such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen?

I realize muscle twitching has you thinking about ALS, but twitching is pretty common and non-specific.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the reply, that is comforting. I was pretty worried last night about my finger.

I will try the ibuprofen that's a good idea. And will see what the doctor says next week.

Thanks again,
ATL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back