Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Nebraska
City
Scottsbluff
Hello I am a 42 year old male. I have been having issues with clearing my throat for awhile and in the last week it seems like I'm having difficulty swallowing. I mean everything works but feels like I have to concentrates bit. I drink water and my throat gets tired after about 4 sips and my throat like the front if it feels heavy and weighted down. Also feels like pressure and like my mouth is trying to lock up I can't see any facciculations or visible weakness. I have lost my appetite and have lost about 10 pounds. Food feels like it's sticking in my chest and lower throat also small tiny pieces of food are getting caught in throat. I am very stressed about this and am just wanting any opinions. Thank you in advance.

I would see my pcp with an eye to a swallow study and possibly ENT or gastro referral. It is much more likely to be an issue in those areas than a neurological one.
If this has caused an unintentional weight loss it needs to be addressed but I certainly would not jump to MND

Please let us know what your diagnosis is when you get one

My tongue gets tired easily and like I said the front of my throat us really heavy. Could that be from tensing these muscles? Its causing me great anxiety. Also is my thread not showed to the public?

Perhaps on the muscle question

See your doctor as that is the only way you will get definite answers

Yes this is a public forum. If you do not want to share follow up that is your right. These threads are read by many anxious people who are helped to see how a story ends. Even a got a diagnosis- not ALS would help.

Your thread is public.

Have you seen a doctor?

I have but all they want to say is it's in my head. I've seen several nobody seems concerned which makes me more anxious.

I would like to point out you have been given advice here about visiting a doctor. You have seen doctors who think it's all in your head, but you feel they are wrong. This is not a good place to continue posting because it's doubtful anyone here could reassure you if you are not able to believe several doctors.

The next logical step is to see a psychiatrist experienced in somatoform disorders to either prove or disprove their assessment. Not only will a psychiatrist provide you support while you struggle with your health concerns, they will also be able to help you figure out whether it really IS all in your head or is an actual physical issue. I am being very serious when I say my psychiatrist is the person who provided me with the very best of medical care when I was searching for my own answers.

Ok. One more thing, when I swallow water I don't choke but it feels like I'm getting resistance like a pressure feeling. I'm sure like I said I've been stressed so my muscles are tense in sure I might be making it worse by obsessing. But does bulbar als start with swallowing issues and tight throat or does it start with something else? Thank you guys.

Please refer to the last post. I'm not sure people here can help you with this.

Sigh. I was just wanting to know what the symptoms of bulbar als were. Honestly I was fine until these symptoms started and persisted. Thanks for the input.

Ok. What are the symptoms of early bulbar als? Does,it start with swallowing issues or heavy sensations? I honestly am not sure. Thank you.

Mjyoung,
Please don't take offense....
I'm not going to be alot of help, as my issues don't involve bulbar...
But, from what you've typed, it doesn't sound like ALS presentation TO ME....
I'd maybe ask about a swallow study.... And, as Shiftkicker said, "The next logical step is to see a psychiatrist experienced in somatoform disorders to either prove or disprove their assessment. Not only will a psychiatrist provide you support while you struggle with your health concerns, they will also be able to help you figure out whether it really IS all in your head or is an actual physical issue. "
We all understand you're worried.... But YOU need to understand that stranngers on the internet are by no means qualified to diagnose anything.... even the super helpful folks here....

Angie

Ok. This will be my last question. Do muscles in als get tired easily like as my throat and tongue muscles do? Or do they just stop working?

I think you may not be reading the previous posts. You are definitely not taking the advice provided to seek proper medical attention for your concerns. The people here are not able to provide you the information you need to help diagnose yourself with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back