Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Garfield
Hi, I am a 30 year old male that has been experiencing strange symptoms for a month or so now. It started at work where i nearly fainted ( got dizzy, weak, sweaty). I thought i was just low blood sugar so i had some sugar and was fine for the rest of the day. After that, ive been really weak (whole body), headaches, jittery, and now muscle twitching all of my body. It almost seems as if my muscles fatigue much faster now; they start to burn quickly while using them.

I would like to add that i have been diagnosed with anxiety for many years now but im not taking any medications for that. What brought me here is when i googled muscle twitching and weakness, i of course freaked out when i read ALS. Before the twitching started i had seen the neurologist for the headaches. He did a few tests on me, balance, strength, coordination, reflex, and said everything looked normal. However i wasn't having muscle twitches at this time.

I would like to add that i recently lost a lot of weight (50-60lbs) due to a strict diet i was on.

Im not sure what do think, i am very anxious and sad due to these symptoms.

I will refer you to the sticky that is titled "READ BEFORE POSTING".

You have something- likely a vitamin/mineral deficiency from losing so much weight in a short period of time. Visit with your doctor to get a complete exam and to make sure you haven't done yourself a bit of harm with your restricted diet.

I apologize I forgot to mention I did read the sticky. I also have gotten a whole bunch of blood tests and everything came back normal. I lost that weight in about 5 months, eating 1500 calories a day consisting mostly protein.

You may have had a panic attack. Do you drink a lot of coffee? Maybe you should get on a more balanced diet that includes healthy fat. You don't have ALS.

Thank you for the reply. I was at the time drinking a lot of caffeine, 500-700 mg a day but I stopped that the day I nearly fainted. I would also like to add I was doing something called intermittent fasting, where I wouldn't eat for 16 hours and then eat for 8 hours. I stopped all of this nearly 7 weeks ago and I'm still having these symptoms.

It's worrisome that you are concerned about ALS when none of the symptoms indicate it. See a doctor and be very honest about what you have been doing in order to lose weight. They will not judge you, they will try to make sure you remain healthy. But they can only do that if you give them all the info to work with.

You have starved your body and placed a great deal of strain on a variety of different organs and processes. If left unchecked you may find yourself with a lifetime of dietary related issues and poor health. Calorie reduction and fasting causes muscles to break down. Drinking caffeinated beverages on top of all of that puts a gigantic strain on your heart, your liver and your kidneys. It may have been a while ago that you were fasting, but this type of thing causes long term repercussions.

Admitted health anxiety along with pretty serious dietary restrictions and changes gives me cause to believe you are skirting an eating disorder. Please see a doctor and let them know you are struggling. No ALS here.

Thank you for the advice, I truly appreciate it. What I "thought" were symptoms is the muscle twitching and weakness. However it's whole body which I'm assuming isn't als, as it's more localized? Also my symptoms were sudden. Again thank you

So I let my Neuro know about my twitching and he performed an emg on me. Everything came back completely normal minus a slight carpal tunnel in my right wrist. He also checked my reflexes again and they were completely normal he said. The question I have is how come he didn't check my left side? I'm just curious.

A piece of advice worrywart, stay away from the internet for advise on serious medical matters, can only cause you stress and no real answers.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back