Reason
Other
Country
Us
State
New York
City
New York
Hi everyone. Here is yet another twitch question. I read the stickies I still have a question regarding twitching. I have twitching 95 percent of the time in the back of both calves. Sometimes I will get a twitch here and there in buttocks or arms.. but mainly in calves. I had them for 17 days straight then they went away for about 10 days not a twitch anywhere so I cancelled my Dr appt.. chalked it up to anxiety and was glad to put it behind me. Then it started again. I have another Dr appt set for next week. I can still do everything like I was.. walking upstairs etc.. there hasn't been a time that I though that was diff or more difficult. I've tried to answer my own question by reading on the forum but everyone's question is a tiny bit diff.
My question is :
In Als does twitches leave for long periods?
Since mine left for 10 days can I take Als off the table and breath?

There is a number of things that could be. For example: restless leg syndrom, a start to terrets, so many things. I would keep your doctors appt.

Robert, is that it?

Is that the one and only sole symptom that drove you to wonder about ALS?

if that's your concern, you can go in peace and enjoy your day.

I seen no reason for you to be interested in ALS in any way.

Twitches mainly in the calves, very possible that your electrolytes are out of whack. Look at the ratio of potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium in your diet. Try a dab of Mg lotion where you feel the twitches.

ALS very rarely begins as twitching. In some genetic cases, it can but not otherwise. Genetic ALS is not something you have to wonder about until you have multiple relatives with the dicease. Twitching follows clinical (not perceived) weakness, not the other way around. My husband for example was classic. His twitching appeared after his drop foot and other issues. ALS twitching also tends to have some features that are different from other types, but that's a whole other issue.

WELL over 99% of twitching has nothing to do with ALS or ANY significant disorder. If it persists for weeks many Doctors will order an EMG if labs are normal. This is not because they think you have a terrible disease, it is to confirm their general assumption that you do not. Some won't do it until you have had twitching for months.

It is a very annoying issue sometimes. My mom has Benign Facilation Syndrome (a fancy way to say you twitch and cramp and we don't know why, but it's all good). She has had it most of her adult life, and it sometimes interferes with sleep and is distracting for sure.

Keep your Doctor appointment and take Laurie's good advice. Diet, stress, and lack of sleep are really typical culprits in twitching. As to ALS, please put it out of your mind. I probably gave to much information here, but sometimes I think it helps to know just WHY you don't need to worry if the stickies have not answered all your questions.

I want to thank all of you. You have really helped me. I am starting to see that an anxiety attack I had out if the blue for the first time ever might have brought all this on. Then when I got better I had a smaller anxiety panic or attack and then they came back. I was worried about Als because it is hard to understand when twitching starts. Thank you all for explaining it to me. I pushed my appt back one more week to give myself a little time to calm down and see if they leave.. I will still go to the appt and talk this out so she knows what's been going on. I hope other people that have my same problem and questions can go away with great answers.

Thanks again. Hope you know how much you all have helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back