Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
I am a 36 year old mom of two. Recently my grandmother was diagnosed with als. She is struggling health wise. I have no other family members that I know of that have ever had ALS, although my grandma had a cousin that died of ms in her 70s. I've alway had a fear of choking, since I was a kid. I've eaten slow and taken lots of drinks. The past year my swallowing of solids has gotten progressively worse. I do fine with liquids and have no speech slurring. I take a drink woth most bites to wash food down. Potatoes and things like that are the worse bc they just feel like mush sitting on my tongue. Water will wash them down too though. I hate eating now bc of this. My tongue shakes if I stick it out, which I read is not uncommon in non als people too but I haven't run across many people that have their tongue jump like mine. It's the combo of the two that scares me. I know dysphasia is a common thing but not normally orally. Does it sound like I'm jumping to conclusions because of my grandma? I also feel twitches in my legs but in chalking it up to stress right now.

You're jumping to conclusions because of your grandma. This happens ALL the time.

Your choking is not at all like ALS choking.

Ditto what Mike said.

Thank you for your input. I'm sure ALS is on my mind right now bc of my grandma, we are very close. I'm waiting for appt and I did the dumb Google search and everytime I look for troubles with swallowing initiation I keep coming up with neuro related issues. It's almost like the back of my tongue isn't strong enough to push solids down but maybe it's further down than that and it just feel like that to me. I know my speech and liquid swallowing are ok. I'll probably be popping in here now and then bc of my grandma, as I'm trying to understand and be there for her during this. Thanks again for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back