Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Swe
State
Norrbotten
City
Piteå
Hi! I found out I had foot drop lite one week ago, I noticed I smashed my left foot when I walked, and noticed that the foot was numb and all. I do cross my legs alot, so that may be it? I went to a physiotherapist today and the thought it was kinda odd, I am a bit sore just below the knee, and I can lift my toes but doesnt have any strength in them.

I HOPE that it is just a nerve under the knee that have been trapped when I have been crossing my knees frequently.

Of course I got all the other symtoms as well now when I learned that foot drop can be caused by ALS or MS.

So to my question (to all you heroes with ALS) did your foot feel numb/ when you had/have foot drop? Or just weak? And did it come up suddenly? Or in matter of weeks/months?

Thank you.

/The swede

Hi Antoox-

There is a post at the top of the DIHALS subforum that will likely answer all your questions. It's titled "READ BEFORE POSTING". The information held there will be very helpful to you.

Hi, I read the "read before posting" but didnt find anything about numbness in foot drops, where is that forum? thanks

Hi Antoox
My symptoms started with foot drop, I had no numbness at all, and haven't had any throughout this illness. Numbness is a sensory symptom mnd is a motor disease so numbness can actually point away from als.

Hope this reassures you, good luck with getting things resolved.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy. It feels kinda numb, like when the anesthesia goes out after you've been to the dentist, numb/scratchy. And no power at all, cant stand on my heels, standing on the toes is ok though. I hope its just a nerve in the knee.. thanks for the reply!

Numbness has nothing to do with als onset.

My answer is going to be a little more complicated. My husband DID have numbness after he noticed his foot drop. Notice I say "after he NOTICED his foot drop". What happened was he had a fall on some steps (we now figure caused by the early foot drop he had not yet noticed) and actually did injure a nerve, which in turn caused the numbness.

Looking back, he realizes he was dragging his toes some before the fall, and attributed it to being tired and hard hard work.

MOST foot drop, as in over 90% of cases are caused by knee injuries, back problems, and injuries to the nerve running along the front of the calves.

See your Doctor, you do need to get it sorted out but odds of ALS or MS are low indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back