Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Nova Scotia
City
Halifax
I have recently been getting very worried about ALS and if I may have it or not. I've read many things that contradict each other on various places but here seems to be the place where I could get some reassurance. To start off I'll tell a little about myself. I am 16, male and I'm 120 pounds.

On December 10th 2016 I started to get these random pains that would jump around my body. For a little while I ignored them but they didnt go away so I went to the doctor, who gave me Tylenol and sent me to get blood work done. I then started to develop twitching, I first noticed it in my legs but then within a day it spread all over my body. I then started looking online as to what it could be and ALS came up as a possibility. I then got very scared and started to read more on ALS.

I went back to the doctor and told him about my twitches. The only thing that came back out of the ordinary from the blood work was very slightly low magnesium (normal was 0.86, mine was 0.84). I have been taking magnesium supplements since then along with a multivitamin everyday.

I then started to notice that my left leg would be very sore after work because my job requires me to always be standing for 4+ hours at a time. This was on December 20th, 2016 that I noticed this.

I kept reading up on ALS and this got my anxiety levels up very high and I went back to the doctors again on December 23th and told him about my anxiety and my twitching (which had gotten worse). I told him my fears of ALS, he said he didn't think it was ALS but to give me peace of mind he booked me to see a neurologist, which will be on January 10th, 2017.

I have started to notice I have been chewing my food up more to make it easier to swallow as I was having a small difficulty with it. I've also noticed my my tongue twitches, it seems to twitch way more when I stick it out of my mouth a bit but even when in my mouth it still twitches. I also haven't been really able to get a satisfying breath unless I really try, and it takes multiple tries sometimes.

My left leg feels like I'm streaching my muscles when I stand sometimes or when I bend my knee. I've noticed it's also a little bit on my right leg as well. Sleeping is also tough for me, I have trouble getting to sleep. It's not uncommon for me to be up til 3 am.

I've been very scared lately because I've read how terrible the disease is and my heart truely goes out to those who live with it. My apologies for the long post but I feel it is important to get all the information there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Devin- While you must be very worried about your symptoms, the ALS forum is likely not the place for you. There are many reasons for the variety of symptoms you have reported. You are simply too young to be diagnosed with ALS.

I'm glad you are working with a doctor to explore why you are expressing these symptoms. I wish you well for your appointment with the neuro. "Dr Google" is not as qualified as a neurologist- I know they'll be able to reassure you about your worries regarding ALS.

Best wishes

Thank you for the best wishes, I appreciate you taking your time to respond. Best wishes to you too.

Hi, Devin,
You have nothing to worry about from the ALS perspective, but health anxiety can keep you from enjoying your best life and is worth addressing. Lack of sleep/a regular sleep cycle certainly doesn't help either nutrition or anxiety. If you start going to sleep at a regular time, it is possible to program your body to match it, especially with all the free videos on meditation and bodywork like Tai Chi, to relax your muscles.

Many teens are also dehydrated, and that is another thing you might tackle.

These things are worth taking some effort on now, so they don't overwhelm you later on.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie for the response. I took a few days to stop looking on the internet and just relax and it seems to help, but I've started to notice that my left leg feels weird. I don't know if I would describe it as weakness. I can stand on it just fine and run and walk but I'm still worried that its just the start. Could my anxiety about ALS be the cause of that or maybe BFS? Again thank you for taking the time to respond and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Anxiety, not ALS. The mind can make your body do some really interesting (or painful) stuff.

My wife, RIP, never, ever mentioned "feeling weird" as a symptom. Most folks here have agreed with that.

Thank you Mike. I am really sorry about your wife. Everyone here has told me it's anxiety, as well as my doctor and mother, but I have a hard time believing it. Non the less thank you for the response. My neuro appointment is in three days and hopefully then I will get some answers

"My neuro appointment is in three days and hopefully then I will get some answers"

With respect, Devin, you already have answers. What you need is confidence in yourself. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back