Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Jersey City
Hi everyone. I have been having bad foot cramps constantly for about 6 months and have been to several doctors to find the cause. All my bloodwork for vitamins, minerals and thyroid came back normal, so my GP sent me to a neurologist. I had an EMG done and a neuro exam, both of which he said were normal, but I still have concerns. First, he did not EMG my feet and that is the main place I am having symptoms. Should he have EMG'ed my feet? Also I have read that cramps can sometimes precede other ALS symptoms by months or even years. Am I just basically stuck in limbo unless things progress? Has anyone in here had the same type of cramping and a normal EMG and then later had ALS? Sorry for the long post!

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS. Is there a reason you're jumping to that as a potential diagnosis?

Foot cramps can be caused by many things including dehydration, medication or poor circulation. Cramps are not a symptom of ALS.

On the ALS website, it says that cramping in the hands and feet can be an early symptom. The reason I was thinking something MND related is because my GP told me cramps can be a signal of a neuro problem once vitamins, minerals, thyroid, etc. has been ruled out. Do you think it's bad my feet weren't EMGed?

No, he should not have EMG'd your feet.

Listen to the neuro.

Muscle cramping usually occurs after deterioration has set in. In my dad's case, his fingers and toes curled as a result. A normal EMG indicates that your nerve impulses are working correctly.

Starente15--Wouldn't I have had to have my feet EMGed to show that the cramps were or were not caused by deterioration? He did stick several spots in my legs but nothing in my foot.

No, Greg already commented on that for you. Please listen to the feedback you've been given and pursue another avenue for diagnosis.

Sorry--I promise I am not trying to argue! I just don't understand why he wouldn't need to EMG my feet if that's where the symptoms are?

1. The correct place to emg is not usually right over the symptomatic area. My initial symptom was in my ankle. The emg doctor said it sounds like the problem is here and inserted the needle 1/2 way up my lower leg. She was right. The doctors know their anatomy and know where to test.

2 I have never heard of a foot emg. I don't think they do them. I have had multiple emgs as a research subject and since they were looking to see if I, a gene carrier for ALS, was starting symptoms they emgd all over. Never a foot though. I suspect there is a technical reason they are not done/ are not needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back