Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ma
City
Natick
Hi all: I'm sorry to post but really hoping for input. A few week who's, I started having blurry vision and headaches. I eventually went for a brain Mri which came back clear. I was then out on medicine for anxiety. A few days after I started the medicine, I began experiencing major cramps in my lower leg muscles. I feel cramps/stuff after walking up stairs and even when I lay in bed. From what I read online, muscle cramps is a major sign of muscle weakness. Should I push for more tests, as I am now worried I have als. Thanks!

Hi
At the top of the forum there is a sticky which goes through symptoms, if you read through it should reassure you. Anxiety in itself can cause a whole load of very distressing symptoms, if the meds you have been given aren't helping it's best to go back to your doctor to see if there are alternative.
Best wishes
Wendy

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I read through that posting and was reassured for a bit. However, I then read on several sites that cramps in the legs and feet represented the potential for als.

Bd
Cramps in the legs and feet could be caused by so many things so you need to get your doctor investigating but don't worry about ALS
Wendy

No worries for ALS as it doesn't present that way.

Thank you both, I have been a nervous wreck and haven't been able to eat or sleep much. Everything online talks about muscle cramps signaling weakness and als so it had me extremely worried.

Time to get off the Internet unless you're planning to join an Anxiety forum. This is a place for people dealing with and caring for those with a terminal illness which you do not have. Best of luck in finding out what's going on.

I apologize for a second post but trust the opinions on here. Today, when I was sitting, my toes in both feet twitched for about a 20 minute period. Is it typical for this to occur as an early symptom in both feet. Thanks again!

No it's not typical.
Wendy

Thank you again for the response. I have been a nervous wreck since the twitching occurred. Vin was especially concerned that it was happened in both feet at the same time.

Athletes get muscle cramps all the time. It is NOT a sign of weakness. It's either your meds or your electrolytes are out of balance. Visit your doctor if you're worried. Twitching is most common with anxiety and too much caffeine or certain meds.

Thank you again for the responses, i have really struggled with fear of als and the Internet points to cramping and twitching is major signs. The thing that makes me feel a bit better is it usually would start asymmetrically correct? Thanks again!

Our sticky and some very knowledgeable members of the forum have told you a couple of times now that cramping is not a major sign of ALS, nor is twitching. I don't know what sites you are using, but the folks here are very knowledgeable and the sticky is very clear. Your doctor is clearly not concerned about ALS, so it is time for you to move on. You do not have signs of ALS. Best of luck to you!! Work with your doctor to see how you can reduce your cramps.

I appreciate all of the answers that have been given. My main source of concern and panic is that it seems that many people who have posted on here say their first symptoms were only muscle cramps/leg pain. This has confused me as the sticky indicates that those aren't initial signs of als. My doctor seems to attribute these cramps to a lack of potassium. I'm just incredibly scared after reading about Charlie horse cramps being people's only initial symptom. Thank you again and would appreciate any feedback.

Several people who are well versed in ALS have already provided feedback on your situation. We are not medical doctors here and this isn't an anxiety forum. Follow up with your doctor and do what they suggest. You don't have ALS and no one here will be able to convince you otherwise. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back