Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
Although not frequent, I have read that muscle and nerve pain can be an initial symptom in ALS. I have experienced muscle twitching for one year, but recently noticed muscle buzzing as well -- like a cell phone. Additionally, I am experiencing muscle pain in my thighs and calves after exertion, as well as what appears to be nerve pain in my arms and legs, often the backs of my hands and my fingers. I also have been suffering from severe chronic fatigue, feeling sleepy from morning till night, despite eight+ hours of sleep.

My PCP would not refer me for an EMG based on these symptoms. Would you recommend I stay on it until I can get a referral?

Thank you for your time.

That's a great question about pain. ALS is a brain disease that destroys motor neurons in the brain, and the brain doesn't have pain receptors.

I saw people have pain after ALS had paralyzed them, because immobile joints freeze up, and because legs that don't move tend to swell up with fluid. Also, if one muscle is useless, then perhaps other muscles will over-compensate and cramp up. I don't understand people who report pain before ALS becomes apparent.

As to people who report pain and then report ALS, that seems to me like a person who has a headache and then has a stroke. Is the headache warning of the stroke? Doesn't seem like it.

I, a stranger on the Internet, certainly wouldn't second guess the doctor who examined you.

As to your question: If you don't trust your doctor, get another.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Sounds like a systemic issue, but not ALS. If your PCP doesn't want to work you up, find an internist who will.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back