Reason
Other
Country
Uk
State
Lanarkshire
City
Motherwell
I first started to get symptoms like pins and needles in my left hand especially when I woke up in morning had to shake my hand to wake it up. Then in December last year I was feeling ok the day before it all started I woke up the next day with excruciating pain in my right shoulder no medication would help this went on for a month and then the pain settled, however by then I had a strange weakness in my hand and arm and numbness in pinkie and finger next to it. Went to see an orthopaedic surgeon who done various reflex and strength tests my grip was quite good then on 1st Feb however some atrophy was seen at the side of my hand where the numbness was. I had some difficulty with handwriting at the time. Since then the numbness has improved but I still have tingling and weakness in both hands and arms with strange sensations each day . In saying all that I can still pick up small objects eg hairpins but my right hand has atrophy only slightly and is weak. I am now experienceing heaviness in my pallette and all my teeth at the top feel numb. My throat feels tight and sometimes when I try to swallow saliva its hard to do but I do not have trouble swallowing food. I am tired most of the time and feel heavy headed and heavy pallette too. I have sweats everyday and night very heated but that may just be menopause, my mouth is dry too. I think I am also leaning to the left when walking and feel off balance. Been referred to see a neurologist but still waiting it's taking ages. Just wanting to hear your thoughts on what it might be as am thinking the worse. Als or some other neurological disorder. Hope I am not a bother much thanks concerned member.

I see no reason to think about ALS. Get it out of your mind. I suggest you read the sticky post titled "New Members Read First Before Posting" at the top of this subforum. You'll see in there why your symptoms are not ALS.

Just one question when you have weakness in your hands with als can you still use your hands at first like picking up small objects ect of does your hands fail straight away, my hands are sore and weak and one has atrophied a little next to the pinkie and the Base of my thumb bends back more, but I can still do tasks been like this for six weeks but problem started with excruciating pain in my shoulder at first. In December last year which has settled but now I have weak hands, pins and needles sensations at times and weird sensations in arms also that make them feel tired.

The excruciating shoulder pain and weird feelings and pins and needles all point AWAY from ALS.

The way you describe your hand weakness doesn't seem quite ALS-like, especially because your hands are "sore and weak."

ALS kills motor nerves in the brain which send the 'go' signal to your voluntary muscles, causing them to move.
There's no feelings involved in this. Although the muscle would appear "weak" there is no feeling of weakness, soreness, exhaustion, or anything at all. That muscle, because it is not receiving its signal from the brain, simply won't work anymore. It lies limp, useless, paralyzed, all the time, forever.

Seems to me that something else is causing your problem. You have an appointment to see the neurologist. Be sure to keep that appointment and fix whatever problem it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back