Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Queensland
City
Brisbane
I have come on this site out of worry. Firstly I noticed my Legs started to feel weak and floppy, upon looking at them closely my buttock and thigh have decreased in size equally on both sides. Does this sound like ALS?

Fair suck of the sav mate

1. read the sticky

2. don't post on someone else's thread

3. what did you GP say?

Nothing as yet, she's trying to rule out Thyroid problems first. I just don't know why my upper thighs would loose so much muscle so quickly. I guess the only thing keeping me from worrying to much is that it's happened on both sides and as far as I know ALS affects one side first.

Thanks for the quick reply Vince

I'm not the best at writing so I will try to keep this brief. I know people on this site know a lot more about als then me so I'm hoping after I say all my symptoms I can get a good idea what's going on. I've had symptoms for about a week now and it's gotten gradually worse with time, to begin with my arm felt rubbery and weak. The next day my thumb and index finger felt numb and harder to move. And suddenly the whole hand. Then my right arm began to have the same symptoms as the left also shaking. I have cramps on my legs and back. It's gotten worse day by day I'm afraid it will continue to do so. Currently my hands feel weak but I'm not sure if they are or not. All my doctor could say was its anxiety and due to a strength test kept it as that. So what are your opinions? Does it seem like als? Is getting an EMG the only way to know for sure? Any answers will be greatly appreciated I've only just married and I would hate to have life end before I could even start. And worst of all leave my wife alone..thanks for your time and any information you can tell me.

Mate did you read the sticky yet?

I'm so sorry you are so scared, especially that you have leapt from healthy to dying from ALS within a week of symptoms. It must feel awful and I truly sympathise.

Our Sticky addresses all you report.

The short answer is that there are zero ALS symptoms in what you are experiencing. Your doctor has even told you this.

Please go back to your GP and speak plainly of your health anxieties so that he can help you. Our health system is clogged, so using it to get a free EMG when there is no indication for it really is wrong. Let those who need the tests have the time slots made available to them please.

All the best, I'm sure your doctor can really help you if you follow through on the advice you are given.

First, Aaron, your doctor told you no. Trust your doctor. Doctors are really smart.
Second, allow me to be the third person here to say you haven't described ALS in your symptoms.
Third, you've been disobeying rules with multiple threads. Twice.
Stay in this thread until you leave, or I will simply delete your future posts without notice.

ALS doesn't move that fast.

The EMG is the gold standard test. However, it is only used after everything else has been ruled out, because ALS is such a rare disease, it makes more sense to look for common diseases first. What you describe could be lots of things including pinched nerve or just nervousness.

Again, if you're still concerned about any of this, go see your doctor.

I reckon he's disobeying the rules because he hasn't bothered to read the stickies even though I asked him to when he first posted.

Why so much bitterness towards me, my symptoms are real although you say it's not Als I'm glad. I just want clarification so I can feel better. But it is something I don't feel it has anything to do with anxiety. I just wanted to know what you think of my symptoms and I needed someone to talk to..I'm finding it hard to concentrate and I was unaware my last post whent through because I didn't see it.

Truly sorry if it was I that seemed bitter mate.

I believe we have given all the clarification we can.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back