Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AR
City
Little Rock
First off, I do hope this forum helps bring peace to those diagnosed, and I hope I'm not wasting your time too much.

I read the sticky before I posted, and while there are a few anomalies in my symptoms, I am worried. I have an appointment with a neurologist in a week, after being referred by my general practitioner.

My symptoms.
Started with left arm numbness- was diagnosed as being having an under active thyroid, this was later ruled out.
This has progressed to numbness in my right arm as well, pins and needles feeling.
Now occationally my right thumb has trouble moving. I noticed it most when typing. Eventually it will kind of "jump start" and start moving again, but I feel like my right hand is now slower to respond, especially to griping things. It also seems like I have trouble lifting things, even as small as a water glass.
More and more I've noticed right arm having muscle twitches. But it seems like it's starting to spread (I do understand this could be due to heightened anxiety)

I have always been athletic, and been pretty in tune with my body. The transition from left arm numbness to right arm numbness was a big gap. Almost 4 years. But now that I'm having problems with my right arm, things seem to be getting progressively worse much quicker.

I have done Xrays and blood work and all have come back normal. It was after my GP couldn't diagnose that they are referring me to a neurologist. I think that an EMG(?) and muscle tests are planned. They said shocking and needles were involved. I only spoke with the receptionist at the neurologist briefly to set up the appointment.

I am only 29. I know the chances of me having ALS are slim, but I am scared. I truly hope that I don't offend anyone by asking advice, and I appreciate anyone that takes the time to read.

KP, you're doing everything you should do. It's true, there will be needles and shocks involved next week; these are standard tests needed to see how your muscles respond to stimuli, how they work at rest and how the nerves that operate them are doing. While the tests are uncomfortable, you will get through them and then know more.

However, pins, needles and numbness speak more to other [generally treatable] nerve disorders than the category that includes ALS. You will have more information soon, so I would live your life meanwhile. There are way too many possibilities to dissect here. Check back with us when you do have an answer, as that helps others in the future.

Best,
Laurie

KP, I just want to reiterate that Laurie is right. There are other things this could be. The pins and needles and numbness feelings lead me to suspect it's not ALS. Plus your age. Plus just the odds, since ALS is rare. IF I were a betting man, I'd bet against ALS. --Mike

Thank you very much for your responses. My appointment is Nov 4th unless I can get it moved up, and I will be sure to update. The worry has unfortunately taken over, so I'm looking for answers as soon as possible. It's very kind of you to take time out of your day to respond.

Diagnosis:

Trapped Ulnar Nerve in both elbows to various degree. Has something to do with the grooves in my elbows as well.
He also said the twitching is likely BFS. Going to work on home treatment and physical therapy to ease numbness and pain, and if that doesn't help I'll have surgery. They are also considering putting me on some anti-anxiety medication that may help with some of my issues.
I thought it would benefit others to add my diagnosis.

EMG was not fun, but bearable. I'm just glad to have some results.

Thank you so much for those of you that took the time to respond, it is very much appreciated.

Thanks for letting us know, the diagnosis certainly fits the symptoms.
I hope the treatment has you back to normal really fast. Do follow up with the anxiety treatments as you could have so much open up in your life now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back