Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
South Yorkshire
City
Sheffield
Hi,

I have read the stickies and have been aware of symptoms regarding fasciculations are not indicative of ALS and also that those under 30 are very unlikely to have ALS, however I have a few questions.

Firstly, I am a 23 year old male from the UK with no history of anxiety, stress or anything else related to mental health issues that could have caused the symptoms I shall describe below.

In December 2014, I was sat after dinner watching television when the muscle between the thumb and index finger started to twitch violently and without warning for approximately a minute. This happened 3/4 times over the next month, whilst I also developed twitches across my body (mainly in my legs) which have been persistent since December. I went to see my GP in the UK who said they weren't bothered, and that, in my mind, was the end of that, just benign fasciculation syndrome.

The symptoms have persisted and now my right forearm is beginning to twitch, as is the same muscle between my thumb and forefinger on the right hand side but only when doing certain activities. For example, when writing the muscle twitches like crazy, but this doesn't happen when writing with my left hand. My knee muscles have also been twitching like crazy too.

I am at a loss here as my GP refuses to do anything about the twitching, whereas a EMG would certainly put my mind at rest.

If this was ALS, would the fasics in my right hand only happen when I am writing, or using the muscles in a certain way? When I hold out my hand straight, I can see the muscles twitching then too, but as yet I have no weakness or pain, just shaking, tremors and fasics.

Any advice, help, information would be greatly appreciated.

I had clinical weakness long before I had any twitches. It's just what's happening is the twitches with no weakness I doubt sincerely of its motor neuron disease. Best of luck to you.

Deficiencies/imbalances of Na, K, Ca, Mg, hydration can all lead to twitching/shaking, esp. with effort or over-focusing on a random twitch (feeds on itself). I suggest you fine-tune your diet and see what you can do on your own. When in doubt, fruit smoothies, salads and veg never hurt.

My PALS had paralysis prior to twitches.

You've jumped from the most common symptom--twitches--to the most rare disease--ALS. That makes no sense. That's why your doctor discounts your concerns.

Here's an analogy......saying twitches means ALS Onset is like saying hiccups means brain cancer. They are SO common, they mean nothing to most.

Thank you for your responses so far - they have helped to put my mind at rest to some extent. Unfortunately what I have noticed for a long time now is that when I stretch my hand out, the muscle in between my thumb and forefinger goes crazy with loads of very fine twitches. This nly happens in my right hand. Is that something anyone experienced before?

That might mean something to a neurologist; I suppose there could be some disease that starts like that. But it isn't ALS.

Sorry we can't diagnose you; we're not doctors. But we do know ALS really well, and that's not it.

(Now, if, one day, you can't physically lift your hand or foot, and there's no reason for it, then you've got something for the doctor to see.)

I twitch. I don't have ALS or any kind of disease whatsoever, but my hand twitches just as you've described. I also get twitches from time to time at various places all over my body. Started when I was 25. I'm 59 now and still have these amusing little muscle twitches every day or so.

Our bodies do funny things as we get older: fart, burp, twitch, painful little tweaks... My left thumb has been buzzing for 2 years now.

Your doctor examines bodies 20 times a day. If your doctor is not concerned, that's a good thing. Follow up with your doc if you want to pursue this further.

Thank you very much - your time and help with me means a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back