Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Roseville
Hi everyone, my name is Nikki and I'm a 36 yr old single mother of two. My symptoms started almost a year ago now. First, I became numb down my left arm and hand. This was also accompanied by severe neck pain. I had an mri and sure enough they found 3 herniated discs in my neck, spinal stenosis and bone spurs. They put me on medication and some physical therapy and told me this was something I would have to live with. Over the next few months my right arm and hand also became numb. I'm a dental assistant and was continuously dropping instruments at work and was pretty much no longer able to do my job. Thankfully I have a great employer who moved me to a receptionist position. Again I was told this was due to my neck issues and there was nothing really to do about it. January this year after losing my mother to cancer unexpectedly, my left leg began to tingle and become numb. It's a feeling that comes and goes. But now seems to stay longer than it goes. It has also started happening to my right leg as well. I suddenly am tripping over my own feet. I'm having trouble walking up stairs or bleachers at my son's baseball games. I had an mri of my lumbar spine which showed no issues. So suddenly the neurologist is concerned because he can't explain these new feelings I'm experiencing in my legs. I am scheduled for an EMG and nerve conduction study this coming Wednesday and I am freaking out! Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? Is it possible for symptoms to come and go from day to day? Today I woke up again in horrible pain! My neck is completely cramped up so bad I can't turn my head and all 4 limbs are completely numb! I know I shouldn't panic until I get real results but I need some answers. And I just feel like nobody understands how scary all of this can be! Somebody please help me answer some of these questions. Am I over reacting?

Sounds nothing like ALS to me. Did the neurologist say that was what they were looking for? There are many things to be found on EMG so just ordering one is not a sign that is what they are considering. Read the sticky for this section. I know you did not. You posted in the wrong forum

Nikki, thanks for posting about your symptoms.
1. You don't have ALS.
2. Sorry about the disk problem that's causing so much trouble at work.
3. Your neck cramped up today because you're under stress. Your doc can relax you with a Valium.
Again, you don't have ALS or anything like it.

Although we're not doctors and can't diagnose what you have, we know ALS really well, and you don't have it.
The reasons 'why' are explained in the sticky post at the top of this subforum.

Thank you for your quick response and sorry for wasting your time with my questions. I did not read the sticky or even see it before I posted. So I apologize for even asking. Just trying to get some answers. God bless you all and thanks again

Good luck with finding an answer to your symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back