Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
Hello,

Firstly, I would like to express how sorry I am for everyone who is affected directly or indirectly with a disease as terrible as ALS and how much respect I have for those manage to deal with such life changing circumstances.

I have experienced some symptoms the past 2-3 months that have worried me greatly. It started at work (I serve meals at a pub), when we had a particularly busy night and after carrying around 80 meals, my right hand basically gave way at the wrist and I couldn't carry two plates in the one hand anymore. This happened when the "ALS Ice Challenge" was at it's peak and I began to dwell on the possibility I may have MND or ALS.

After that night, the twitches which I sometimes get have become more frequent. They are mostly concentrated in my left leg but also affect my right leg, abdomen and sometimes chest to a lesser extent. Also, I can carry two plates in one hand again but I feel as though things are heavier.

Also, I feel as though I may be experiencing foot drop in my right leg. I can stand on the tips and heels of my feet but the leg just feels "heavier".

I took my concerns to the local GP who basically told me that MND at my age is extremely rare and I shouldn't worry. He did some basic grip strength tests with me grasping his index fingers and found no difference.

As a side note, I am an 18 year old male who has had health anxieties in the past. Also, I have read the stickies at the top of this forum and although they did provide a little relief I did still have some concerns.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought. Whether I should just forget about this or pursue further testing?

Thank you all so much for your time!

From one aussie to another - fair suck of the sav mate, no way what you are describing is ALS, or as we actually call it in Australia MND.

Please go back to your GP and get your health anxiety treated, fortunately it is a very treatable condition and a real medical issue. Best not to come back here as it only makes you focus on it.

This is strange... according to your statistics you have Threads going back to 2006 and 2008. Are you the "Worried!" according to your profile or has a glitch occurred? Also, according to your post above you are 18. You would have been 10 years old in 2006.

Nikki addressed the glitch below. I put my glasses on and noticed the " ! " but it still worked out to be a glitch. :)

Al I think it is a glitch. The profile linked is worried without the ! And strangely this post/ thread does not show in the statistics of worried Nor does worried! appear in the member list only the older worried
OP no worries about MND but as Tillie says get help for your anxiety and for your wrist if it still bothers
Best of luck

Thankyou all so much for your time, it is greatly appreciated!

On a side note, I forgot to add that the fingers on my right hand seem less dexterous, especially my pinky and ring finger. They feel kind of stiff, almost swollen and harder to move, I don't know if this is indicative of anything or I shouldn't worry..

Sorry for the confusion with my username too!

the fingers on my right hand seem less dexterous...stiff, almost swollen and harder to move,

It's not indicative at all of ALS.

worried my first reply still stands.

stay away from here and go pester your doctor to find a cause, sorry we can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back