Learn about ALS
Country
IN
State
Maharashtra
City
Mumbai
Hi everyone,

Ive been getting alot of symptoms for the past 4 months, started with a feeling of weakness and heaviness in my arms, then the twitching started, i went to see a doctor and he checked me for various things like Blood test to check for some auto immune disease and also Brain MRI. They couldn''t find anything wrong with those, after that when its not get better another neuro wanted me to do EMG which is quite expensive in this part of the world and my insurance didn't cover it but due to the urgency i had to do it, they checked the whole one side of my body from toe to shoulder at different spots with needle test and checked whole body for NCS, both came back normal, my only problem now is that since i had it done my twitching got much worse, its in many areas of my body and some in particular like my right knee and foot, also left hand, etc.. i also felt like my swallowing was different, feeling like i had phlegm stuck in my throat and wanting to clear it, i dont slur much words and can still talk normal and move my tongue around but my throat doesn't seem to clear and have noticed my voice is a bit more hoarse, walking seems ok not tripping or falling but do notice a little weakness, hands can still function but feel weaker. As i understand from reading previous post most EMG's rule out ALS and it shows on EMG even before you can notice symptoms but in my case when i went back to doctor he recommend that i may do another EMG in a month or 2 and also said that both my Calf's were not the same size, one was 2 inches smaller, so he wants to check if it gets smaller. Now due to these comments im extremely scared again and keep thinking that i might have ALS . Even my wife and family are not supportive of me because of the cost associated to keep checking for these problems and it came back normal in the past. i would highly appreciate any advice

You don't have ALS. I don't know why a doctor would want to do two EMGs so closely together. The doctor didn't find any major weakness, either, or you would have mentioned it.

You might have some medical problem, but it's not ALS. And don't worry about your calf being the same size, it's no big deal.

Twitching can be anything, or nothing at all. Please calm your mind. You might have a pinched nerve that is affecting your arms, but that is not fatal.

I'm sorry but we aren't Dr's so the only advice we are able to give is that it's not ALS. So, you can be relieved that much and take that off your list. You are now going to have to search elsewhere to find the rest of your answers. Good luck to you.

Thanks very much for your answers guys, i think one of the biggest problems with doctors in this part of the world is that they scare you more in order to keep you concerned and running back to them, as i mentioned doing an EMG here is very expensive and not covered by insurance due to that ordering another one without any major physical weakness or atrophy is more of a money generating technique rather than concern, the last doctor even said something weird like " well nothing is ever 100%, so theres a possibility that even with a clean EMG you still might have it" reading previous posts and comments from people like you who are actually suffering and have positive diagnosis i find that extremely irresponsible to say, even if a doctor does suspect that you may have symptoms you can just ask for a follow up in a few months rather than say things that would drive the person crazy.. Anyways thanks again guys, hopefully i can figure out what else might be causing all these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back