Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Alabama
City
Pinson
Hey,

I've been having rampant twitching for roughly 4-5 months now that started in my ear lobe (2 weeks) -> left arm (1-2 weeks) -> right arm (1-2 weeks) -> whole body such as my stomach, face, back of head, eyelids, elbows, feet etc. Now it is focusing on my left foot on various spots and left arm for the past couple weeks, though I still get them everywhere while trying to sleep. The first 2-3 months I honestly just shrugged it off as stress as I've been working quite a lot. But the last 2 months I've been getting a lot of achey feelings primarily in my left hand and left ankle, though I have a decent bit in my right hand as well. It's not even necesarilly painful at all but it is like things just don't feel right mainly on my left side. It's kind of like a "tired" feeling or like I had done a workout the day before but haven't actually done anything. My initial thought was maybe I had Carpal tunnel coming on or something since I use my hands constantly.

I went to my GP finally just yesterday and told him my symptoms, etc and he didn't seem overly concerned about it and thought it was a vitamin deficiency so told me to start on a daily vitamin. He also ran some blood tests looking for vitamin deficiencies which I am waiting on results for. However, after I got home I noticed that I can't voluntarily bend/curl the 4 smaller toes on my left foot anymore and I can bend them easily on my right. My big toes on both feet seem fine.

Few things:

-I'm 26 years old.
-I was told I likely had sciatica when I was about 20, though never confirmed, but I've had back pain for years down my left side into my left leg though it has eased off this past year. I was thinking maybe that had caused the loss of control of my left foot toes and maybe I just never noticed it until now.
-I was under pretty extreme stress the first half of this year.

Honestly, I'm simply just looking for opinions and I know none of you can make a diagnosis. I'm going to call and get an actual Neuro appointment soon and hopefully that goes well.

Twitching in your ear lobe? This I gotta see. I'd love to find the motor nneuron that controls the ear lobe muscle.

Haha. I have no idea either, but it was where I initially started. I guess you can say it was more my actual ear then the actual earlobe itself. Regardless, it thumped for a while and sounded like a drum circle when I was trying to sleep :p.

Hey
you are right, we can't diagnose, and commenting on someone twitching is pretty pointless too.

Stop trawling the net and using sites like this and wait out your appointment with a neuro who can actually tell you something.

My opinion FWIW - you are a normal 26 yr old with stress but no ALS symptoms.

Hope you find the cause and move on quickly.

Your symptoms do not sound like ALS.
ALS is about failing; it is not about weird feelings or aches.
Twitching is very, very common and is not diagnostic of any particular disease.
Google is the worst diagnostician there is.
Stay away from the internet. It wil just increase your anxiety and cause bogus symptoms.
Trust your GP.

Hi -- ALS/MND is a scary disease to consider/fear. We empathize. This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just so thoughts on how we can help each other ...

> I'm going to call and get an actual Neuro appointment soon and hopefully that goes well.

note #3 and #10 ...

Here are some first considerations that may help:

#1 - Read the STICKIES at the top of this forum. Many questions are answered there. 99% of new questions are addressed.

#2 We are not doctors or diagnosticians, but people who are dying from or caring for people with ALS. Some of us have to type with one hand, one finger, via dictation, or even with our eyes, so reading/replying to the anxiety-ridden can be very tiring.

#3 if you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

#4 an EMG, properly done, is the gold standard test for ALS. But also, an abnormal EMG can indicate HUNDREDS of other, non-fatal, diseases. So listen to your doctor.

#5 ALS does NOT present with pain, cramps, or fatigue. In ALS, you feel perfectly normal but your muscles simply won't work. Typically, the first sign of ALS is a foot or a hand that inexplicably just won't lift up. It doesn't hurt or feel weak, it just is limp. That is paralysis.

#6 ALS is about failing, not feeling, so forget the "feeling" symptoms

#7 If your main issue is twitching go to the bfs forum. If you have weird neuro symptoms try neurotalk. There are also forums for health anxiety.

#8 Your doctor is wise to look at other diseases. ALS is rare. In order for it to be ALS, it has to be nothing else.

#9 Many of us cough/gag/choke and/or can no longer speak. It is difficult to have anxious people constantly chasing this disease, when we can't escape it. There seems to be this cult of ALS wannabees/groupies. You don't want to fall into that bucket do you?

#10 Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. It is what leads many folks here to this forum -- it is a self-fueling fire. Try to avoid using google and/or this forum if you can -- if you cannot stay away and off this forum it should tell you something important!

Lastly, if you are still interested, go to alsa dot org or mda dot org ...

We sincerely hope you do not need to be here! But find out first. If you do need to be here let me say "Welcome, sorry you are here!"

-----
Max - Monday, August 18, 2014 12:03:01 PM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Thanks guys. I'll try to not worry about it and just wait to see what my GP says. I know muscle twitching is super common. My only real concern is not being able to curl the 4 small toes on my left foot anymore. They're substantially weaker and sort of floppy when I try to flex them compared to my right, but of course our bodies aren't symmetrical and I guess anything could be causing it...especially since it is just toes and of course my right foot is the dominant one. I'll try not to visit this forum anymore, but I'll return to update you if I ever find out anything concrete.

Thanks again.

You have already got good answers, just adding;

From what I have learned, if the peroneal nerve branch of the sciatic nerve is injured/pressed upon, you might feel that it is harder to flex and curl your toes. I would see your GP and look into your sciatia again.

Nothing you state sound like ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back