Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Toms River
Hello All,

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. I'm concerned about my mother. Age 60. She lives a very active, but stressful life. For about a year now.. when she walks at NIGHT, after a long day her left leg will "give out". she then has to drag it back to her car / house etc. She walks several miles each day and says this only happens when walking at night and it is NOT every day, but it is often. (Presuming its fatigue related). Also on the same (left) side she has forearm and hand atrophy. She had not noticed the arm difference until her primary doc pointed it out but she has had some hand atrophy which is causing problems with typing, etc. She thaught was something like carpal tunnel. She also says she occasionally has mild drooling and hoarseness, but not noticable to anyone but her. She has NO difficulty swallowing, chewing or breathing. Again, her symptoms, besides the leg issue, are not noticable until she points them out to someone. Anyway, she does not have pain or twitching. But does have tingling sometimes. Blood test ruled out Myasthenia Gravis and brain MRI was normal. Neurogolist did say she has spinal compression ( I think thats the name) but does not think her symptoms are related to the spine issue. I know that her symptoms are looking like ALS from what I read, and she is going to have more testing done. I'm trying not to worry until she has a definitive diagnosis. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone could offer any insight into other possibilities. She has no emotional issues, no difficulty climing or getting up and works about 60 hours a week. whatever it is, is progressing slowly. Thanks for reading and sorry so long. God bless you all.

I'm hoping the doctors can figure it out and it's not Als.

I know how scary the diagnosis process can be for everyone involved.

Good luck and let us know how your mom makes out

When my left hand and lower arm started to atrophy and noticed via my typing (as she), I first was referred to a hand surgeon and an EMG screening for that nerve problem (ulnar and carpal) tunnel. By the time ofr my appointment with him, fasiculations started between my thumb and first finger where the atrophy was worse. He went ahead with the hand surgery saying that if it did some good perhaps ALS could be taken off the table. In my post op evaluations, he actually called my neurologist advising her to reconsider things.

I write this in that I've read a lot on this forum and in the literature that suspected carpal tunnel/ulnar nerve issues are often a fork in the road in the diagnosis process and consulting with an experienced hand surgeon is not a bad idea as they see ALS onset from a different vantage point.

I did go ahead with the surgery and EMG-wise, it was a complete success. My left hand and now full arm are atrophied so there you go.

Thanks so much for the insight and for responding. I will advise her of the idea of seeing a hand surgeon. She is scheduled for an Emg today. I think I'm more nervous than she is. Thanks again.

Good luck with EMG.

Yes indeed. Good luck. I would keep my fingers crossed but I can't. lol

Thank you to everyone that replied. My mom's EMG reveiled that she does not have a neuromuscular disorder, such as ALS. Although her symptoms were very similar, they said she has a dopamine problem. They will do more testing, but she believes it could be Parkinsons. If it is ...we will deal with it. I'm grateful for the results and having been scared of ALS, I have to say that I admire all of you who are faced with this and other debilitating diseases. Facing an illness like this really puts other things in a new perspective. I hope that someday the ALS research will find a cure, but I will continue to pray for everyone dealing with this. I wish only the best for anyone reading this. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back