Learn about ALS
Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Syd
Hi there,
I am thankful for this support group being available. I am a young mum with young children. I realise you must get queries all the time. However, my symptoms are concerning me. I live in a remote part of Australia and access to medical care is not easily accessable. My symptoms are as follows;

Left arm fatigues quickly. Full strength in hand still and still able to perform the usual exercises eg. push ups, weights, jogging etc. However, I have noticed my left tricep above my elbow is much smaller on the left side and feels mushy. on my right arm it is bigger and firmer. I know it could be because I am right handed.
Also, my joints in left hand are quite stiff and painful at times. It is thumb, third finger and pinky. I can feel my left hand clicking when I use it and my wrist feels clicky and painful at times. I had a clean NCS and EMG of the left arm just 2 months ago. From all I have read is htat if anything was to be found it would have been found in this study. Is this correct?

My mouth, throat and chin also display symptoms. My Uvula( the hanging part at the back of my mouth) is sticking up. When I say AAA my palate rises symmetrically and I see my uvula rise back up into the middle. However, it bobs around and seems to struggle to maintain its position. Has anybody seen/heard of this before?
I am a singer and I feel when I sing now, that my voice cracks a lot more, I have trouble with my neck feeling strange...hard to explain. Not weak so much as just weird.

I have no history of health anxiety so now I am just preying that my fear of finding ALS by accident when searching for muscle fatigue in one arm has triggered this new anxiety and associated symptoms. I also get miniscule twitches daily. They could hit anywhere and last only a split second before stopping. Occasionally I get a regular thumping one in my upper arms on one side or the other.

Sorry to bombard this post with so many symptoms but I am quite frightened and feel that I am just not right. I hope someone out there can provide me some feedback or suggestions. I do have an appointment with a neurologist in January. Thankyou in advance for any advice or suggestions.:?

Hope you visit your GP for a thorough physical. Please, don't jump to conclusions - i think the internet has you frightened - for no reason. Generally, limb onset ALS begins with clinical weakness, then atrophy then twitching. So, you have perceived weakness and perceived atrophy in your left arm - but you can still complete exercises. If you had ALS, you wouldn't be able to. Rarely, would you have both limb and bulbar symptoms at the beginning - generally, it's one or the other. In my experience, there's no clicking of any kind.

If I were you, i'd take a fatal disease off the menu and get a check up.

Thankyou for your reply. I hope you are right. From what I have read, having bulbar symptoms and an arm symptom is a bit contradictory. Although it doesn't really explain my uvula being deviated and shrunken. Perhaps an ENT could explain that. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to my post. I have a number of blood tests to undertake next time I can take the 4 hour trip to town. It is difficult when you live so far from town to simplify things and just get a regular check up. Praying for you all on this site and those who are diagnosed with this disease. I don't know this one in particular but I watched my relatively young father slowly waste away in front of us from Lewibodies dementia which although slower seems to cause a lot of similar symptoms to MND.
Thankyou again and God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back