Not open for further replies.

paul71

Country
US
State
WI
City
W
To briefly summarize previous posts, I have been experiencing neuromuscular symtpoms since September. Hand tremors, dirty EMG of arms (chronic and acute denervation), hyperreflexia (4+) of knee reflex, spasticity, ankle clonus, but no Babinski sign.

My two most recent EMGs of legs have been clean. But my legs feel horrible. They are extremely tight and feel heavy and very fatigued after a little walking. They also feel very shaky and rubbery. Recently my knees have started to hurt. I got x-rays (want MRIs) of both knees and am waiting for results.

My question is, for those who have been diagnosed with ALS, was there a lag time between your legs feeling this way and your EMGs coming up dirty? I don't know how they haven't found anything - I've been a runner my whole life and now walking is a major effort! It seems like it's just a matter of time...

Paul

ALS for me started out with right ankle weakness. No pain. I would walk in yard and my ankle would "sprain". I just figured I stepped in a dip in the yard. It started with one ankle/leg and then after a few months started on the other ankle/leg. Not both at the same time. Had really wicked (way different than "normal") cramps in my legs while the weakness was happening in legs. My legs weren't "fatigued" but I had "clinical" weakness. I could no longer walk on tiptoes or rock back on heels. This started for me in the fall 2010. I didn't have an EMG till summer 2011.

Hello Paul

It appears that what you're describing might be upper motor neuron symptoms or something that is mimicking upper motor neuron symptoms. The EMG cannot detect them. As far as a "lag" between having those symptoms and then having an EMG come-up dirty (meaning there is either a lower motor neuron problem or neuropathy or myopathy), there is no real timeline. It is simply too variable and sometimes it never happens (i.e. a dirty EMG).

If you could get a copy of your EMG's and the impression given by your neuro and post it on your forum page, I would be more than happy to look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back