Not open for further replies.

konex27

Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Chicago
Full disclosure: Before tonight, I'd not even heard of ALS. I described these symptoms elsewhere, and someone said "I had (some of) those, and now I have ALS." I'm sure there's a more simple explanation, but I'd like to get this out there before I even have a chance to worry about it. Especially because I have no health insurance and not quite enough money to go to the doctor (especially if it's what's expected, described below) but I make just a wee bit too much to receive aid.

First: 22/F, so I'm not exactly the optimum demographic.

Scene-setting: I moved at the beginning of September, which completely changed a lot of things. After one week of taking public transit, I began riding my bicycle ~100 miles/week. I also moved to a new office, with new desk/chair set-up. Three weeks ago (so this is the beginning of week number four), I restarted lifting weights, which I'd stopped in June.

Problems: About a week before returning to the gym (so fourish weeks ago), my left elbow and hand went numb. I called my parents -- it was most likely my bicycle (many women have a pinched nerve problem resulting from too much weight on the hands). Okay, so I adjusted my bike on recommendation of the bike shop, and my elbow stopped hurting and most of the numbness went away.

Twoish weeks ago, still on my left hand, my ring finger (and, to a lesser extent, pinky finger) stopped responding properly. I can't straighten it all the way. Mobility is limited. Typing is getting more difficult. Also, grip strength is way way down (pushing, grasping -- all of it is getting much more difficult). The guess is a tendon problem. Massage the wrist -- okay.

Last week, my thumb started twitching. Not violently, just a bit. Always my left thumb. It's not dehydration, it's not a lack of electrolytes -- those were the first two things I thought.

Today, I told my mom the sore tendon hypothesis, and she agreed that was possible. Doctor army mom prescribed ranger candy (600mg ibuprophen every 8 hours). Alright, fine. So I took my first dose at noon.

At the end of the work day, roughly 5:30, my left index finger joined my thumb in twitching. So now I have numb and not-so-functional ring and pinky fingers, and a twitching thumb and index finger. Then my index finger locked out -- shot straight forward, hurt and wouldn't move. Googled it-- kind of like trigger finger! Says take an anti inflammatory. But...aren't I already on an anti inflammatory? And considering I don't take medicine hardly ever, it's not like I have a tolerance to it. So that goes away, thankfully after a few minutes. While I'm hating the entirety of my left arm/hand, out of nowhere my right-hand ring and pinky finger pull the same thing my left index did: cramped straight out, super painful, completely unresponsive. But I'm still on my anti inflammatory, and until this point my right hand has shown NO signs of...anything, really.

Medication: Not much. I started taking Bronkaid (in addition to the ephedrine, which I wanted, I actually do happen to show signs of intermittent asthma when exercising during the winter -- it helps with the cycling), 1 cap/day. And the ibuprophen. And I drink a lot of caffeine, but balance with plenty of water and sleep. I also take a multivitamin, and birth control.

Diet: Fairly healthy, I'd say. Lots of different colored vegetables, plenty of proteins and healthy fats, I've been trying to eat less carbs lately but make sure to get plenty of fiber (and still go on carb refeeds).

I'm sorry for being so longwinded. Thanks for your time.

If your army doctor mom becomes concerned you have a deadly neurological disease, then feel free to worry on that score. Until then, I think such worry would be quite overblown.

Honestly, your hand symptoms are awfully generic. In a hyperbolic analogy, it would be like someone with leg pain asking an amputee, someone with arthritis, and someone with a knife sticking out of their leg if this sounds like their problem. With such generic nerve-hand issues

Go to a doctor, at least at a sliding scale clinic. No matter what is going on with your hand(s), it is already causing you trouble and if it is treatable or preventable you need to nip it in the bud. Get the medical report, find out if you've lost any clinical strength, how your reflexes are, and most importantly - how important they think it is to see someone more specialized about it.

Well, you are on an anti inflammatory but you show worrying signs of believing them to act in a magical manner; if taking an anti inflammatory medication worked in the way you seem to think they do then the sales figures would be very low. All we would have to do is pop a few for a day or two and hey presto everything is fixed.

Sadly, medications don't work like that; on the other hand ALS/MND doesn't work the way you seem to think it does either, so it is highly unlikely that you need worry about it.

I know it's boring but you really need to see a doctor if this persists; there are many possible causes and DIY diagnosis tends not to work too well, just as long distance diagnosis tends not to work too well either. But if you stop expecting medications to work like magic, and adopt a more realistic approach, it may well just go away and you can enjoy getting on with your new job and your new home; good luck!

What you talk about doesn't sound like my friend at all, good luck to you.

I have no medical training of any kind. Any advice I have is based on experience. Are you exercising more than your body is accustomed to? Are your elbows tender? If so, you might want to try a band that fits over the largest part of the forearm below the elbow. They can be purchased at Walmart, Walgreen's, or any similar store. Cinch the band up tightly, but not so tight that it is uncomfortable.

This treatment is used for tennis elbow or any injury to the tendons and muscles of the forearms that may cause some of the symptoms you are having. Ask army mom if she is familiar with these bands. The ibuprophen should help.

After saying all that, I agree that you should see a doctor, but stop worrying about a serious neuro-muscular disease.

The issue you are having is almost certainly a trapped or pinched nerve in your elbows or wrists, and, dear, doc mom or not, ibuprofen isn't going to do a thing to help a pinched nerve. Nerves don't get unpinned with a pill! I'm amazed any doctor would say it would help with more than any associated pain.

A NCV would go a long way to figuring out the problem. See a doctor, instead of trying to treat something you don't know what is. If no nerve is trapped, it could be simple hand cramps and spasms.

Good luck

Doesn't fit with any of the horrible symptoms my husband has. You need to see a doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back