Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
uk
City
U K .
I posted on an old thread and don't know if anyone saw it because it was on old thread, so starting new one to make it easier for to see.

I'm asking about clinical examinations. If reflexes are symmetrical and normal in clinical examination can they turn assymetrical and hyperreflexic?
Has anyone had no weakness on clinical examination and then had weakness on another after?

Thank You

Any new posts in a thread show up under "new posts"

Of course things can change. Same answer for both your questions.

Take going to the dentist........on one visit everything might be fine, the next you need a root canal as something's come up in the year between visits.

Same when you go to the doctor........you can have the flu one visit and a sprained ankle the next.

Things change all the time. What we don't do is go for the flu, then wait in terror for a fall that might sprain your ankle.

If you have normal reflexes, then great. If you have no weakness theN double great. Don't stress over the fact that a few months down the track, you may get a brain tumor causing hypereflexia and weakness.

I just went back and read your first thread about foot drop. I'm not clear what exactly brings you here. Why the concerns of foot drop, reflexes, and so on? You've got clinically normal strength and reflexes, and I'm not seeing anywhere that you're experiencing any great physical difficulties. What's the deal?

Alyoop, I understand what you're saying. What I really meant was did anyone with ALS have normal reflexes and strength and then it changed or is it are they present early with it?

Sounds like a simple, straightforward question. I have not been diagnosed but I'm sure many here can answer. I'm curious myself. Thanks crazycrazyob for asking.

You will find that the answer is no.
People that have ALS, go to the doctor because of weakness. Sometimes spasticity. Therefore the examination will not be normal.
The exception is people presenting with bulbar symptoms, but they will have weakness as well! It can just be harder to pick up in a clinical examination, occasionally.

Even when there is an issue other than ALS that is cause for concern, something on a cli in cal exam will not be normal. Of course people with ALS had normal exams at some pont I. Their lives, but not once they had symptoms that sent them to a doc. Does that help?

Last edited:
I saw on the Mayo Clinic wesbsite that one symptom before foot drop is numbness. This makes me sovworried because last night my foot went completely numb and floppy three times and my above my the knee went numb as well. I thought sensory symptoms were not effected in ALS? Is this sympto theyvreport on Mayo Clinic wesbite true? How much of an indicator is this of footvdrop or atrophy?

Thank You

Also, I read on ALS.NET that some people have common symptoms of limbs 'going to sleep' as they were trying to go to sleep. This is exactly how my foot has been going. Is this really a symptom? I'm sorry to keep posting and asking because I am annoying, but I'm so scared.

I just posted and it got sent to moderation but I said that I saw some posts on another ALS wesbsite that said people's common symptoms were their limbs 'going to sleep' as they were trying to go to sleep? This is how I'd describe mine. Is it a symptom of anyone else? I'm so scaredd.

Remember there are other reasons for foot drop that are not related to ALS. .. my feet do sometimes go numb now, but I believer its due to lack of muscle around the sensory nerve, so these nerves get pinched. At this point, I wouldn't worry that your sensory nerves being an indicator of ALS, its the motor nerves that get damaged, leading to muscle atrophy.

Do you think it is an indicator foot drop is going to come then? I can push all strength on dorsiflex foot and it stays. I'm so worried I am going to go to bed and foot has dropped by morning. I think I already have atrophy in foot but no noticeable weakness. Could numbness be indicator atrophy getting worse? Did your feet go numb before weakness?

Remember there are other reasons for foot drop that are not related to ALS. .. my feet do sometimes go numb now, but I believer its due to lack of muscle around the sensory nerve, so these nerves get pinched. At this point, I wouldn't worry that your sensory nerves being an indicator of ALS, its the motor nerves that get damaged, leading to muscle atrophy.

Footdrop is almost always NOT due to ALS. The things you are reading about footdrop are the things OTHER THAN ALS that cause it. Your numb foot is not necessarily an indication that footdrop is imminent and is certainly not an indication you have ALS. You are comparing apples and oranges here (actually, you're comparing apples to telephone poles). Stop trying to drive a square peg into a round hole; it's not going to fit no matter how hard you try. Give yourself a mental and emotional break and stop trying to convince yourself you have or are going to acquire a disease there is absolutely no evidence you have. RELAX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back