Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Pennsylvania
City
Boyertown
I'm sorry to bug you all with this if this is really off target, but I have bad general anxiety disorder (I'm just starting pills for it) and cannot stop worrying extremely about it. Thank you in advance for your help and best wishes to all who are here.

First, I am 21. I realize that this makes it very unlikely that I have ALS, but hear me out. On Saturday, I began feeling tightness in the front of my left shin. Since then the tightness has revolved between the top front and bottom front of my shin, as well as my calf. I also have had twitching in many parts of this leg, as well as in my right arm and right leg. The leg feels weak, although I have been performing many self tests on it, so it may be overworked. I also have occasional tingling in my left foot; it goes in and out. I have pain and stiffness in my lower back, and have been known to have nerve issues there. What do you think? Is there any definitive reason that it really cannot be that? I just am not used to having these sorts of concentrated symptoms this long due to the lower back pinching (btw, I can lift my toes, walk, climb stairs, etc. with ease) If not, my anxiety may be bad enough that I will simply have to get an EMG to certify it, as silly as it may be. Thank you all again, and apologize if I'm wasting your time.

Also, I want to note that starting yesterday I have had the feeling of weakness or a little shaking in my wrists/fingers/hands, like the main nerve/tendon running down the middle of them...more nerve pinching, or overworking due to testing muscle strength may be the culprit?

You're right about your health anxiety. I'm sure that it will be a waste of money but if you're that worried then go to your doctor. We can't diagnose you Dear. It just sounds like health anxiety to me.

Is your leg listening to you brain? When you say move does it move? Pain..stiffness ..shaky..tingles. doesn't sound like als.Your body not listening ...then maybe

Just schedule the E M G. Nothing We can tell you will ease your anxiety over this. If you want to go somewhere where there are a lot of people who have this same fear and anxiety, go to aboutbfs.com

Sorry to say this, but irrational is exactly the di ag no sis. Please listen to Sadiemae and go have your tests done. 9.9 times out of 10, new an xi ety filled new posters don't take our ad vice after we exhaustively explain our reasons. After your testing, please come back and let us know.

This in know way is meant to be rude, just keeping the answer brief and to the point.

Okay, I'll add my two cents... Please continue taking your anxiety meds, get off the in ter net and know that you do not have ALS in two or three days. Read the stickies, get your e m g. You don't have this!

Good luck,
Jen

And, in general, going from "I've had symptoms for a week" to "do I have a terminal disease?" is a pretty big flashing sign that your brain is acting irrationally.

Hope you will take all this wonderful advice given to you... especially since your symptoms don't sound anything like ALS. I really can't even figure out how you got here... I can't even fathom ALS popping up in a search of those symptoms!

The way "they" all get here is from all the threads with questions about twitching. The more we comment, the more likely it will bring them here doing a G search. I suggest that after a couple of days of posts, and they keep asking the same question, we direct all comments to their visitor page.

That's a good idea sadiemae. D r G just seems to keep sending them here. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back