Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ct
City
Middletown
I know this is going to probably be a dumb question (and no I don't have als or pls) I was wondering what exactly a emg shows, mine was perfectly normal when I had it done in dec. but I do have some atrophy ( more like big dents in my leg that are getting worse with some pain the longer I am on it) and I was wondering if an emg would not pick up any other stuff that could be going on, ( again not a mnd)

For example something from my back or hip that would not be picked up on a emg? Nerve stuff? Back and neck MRI did show minor things but neuro said it would not cause this.

My gp is stumped.

Not a dumb question at all. The EMG, detects the electrical activity in a muscle.
If the nerves are not working properly due it is picked up on the EMG.
It can most certainly detect a decrease in electrical activity, due to compression of a nerve, be it in your spine , or your hip. Think of a damaged electrical wire, it can be damaged, by continued bending, pressure, severing, etc.

The ncs, part of the EMG process ( should be ). Reads the speed of the electrical impulse running down the nerves.

So something causing a disruption of a nerve in your back or hip region, can indeed be picked up on an EMG / NCS.

Thanks aly, well there goes my theory that it could be coming from my back. So the problem must be coming from the muscle itself? Maybe a orthopedic, I thank you so much for all of your precious time and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back