Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Marvin
I have been having neurological problems for over 7 years. I've seen many doctors all over the country. I just wanted to let you know that I have been through alot of what many of you are going through now. I won't bore everyone with my medical history. That is not the reason for my post. I want you to know that after many years of believing that I could not be helped, that I probably suffered from PLS , my wonderful new neurologist finally checked not only my B12 level, but other factors in my blood which indicated that B12 wasn't being absorbed properly. This can cause all my neurological issues!

Please be sure to have several blood tests done:

vitamin B12 level
serum folic acid level
homocysteine level
methymalonic acid level

For more information about B12 deficiency, there is plenty of information out there. I recommend a book, Could It Be B12?, that I read after my diagnosis. I saw myself and my symptoms in that book!

I am just beginning treatment so I cannot tell you all is well with me yet. But I have hope that I will improve and I have peace of mind that I know what is really going on with my health.

B12 deficiency tends to run in families. At my doctor's suggestion, I had my high functioning autistic son tested also. Guess what! He had high levels of methymalonic acid and homocysteine--off the charts! He has B12 deficiency. The connection between autism and B12 was made in the book I recommended. It pains me greatly that his whole life may have been different if doctors had tested for this.

Please ask for these tests for yourself if you are having neurological problems. I have never posted before this, but I want to make sure to spread the word in any way I can. Simple blood tests can possibly give you more answers than expensive MRIs and EMGs. I've been there too.

Kim

Great post Kim, it's one of the things I had checked immediately after my diagnosis... unfortunately it wasn't the answer for me. But maybe I'll have my son's b12 levels checked at his next appt. Has your son improved since his B12 was corrected?

Thanks for sharing, Yep did that one too, b-12 injections, did not help either, not what it was for me..:-( But we tried.

I did the once a month shots too! Di, I know how you feel. Ouch and No. But it was worth a shot. Gee, no pun intended there.

Mine was very low, too--though the shots I've been giving myself for the last 9 months haven't helped the symptoms--I did get my daughter's checked--and hers is low, too.

Can't convince her to take the shots, though, lOL. She hates needles.

I was always very low, it was reflected in mt cbc. Took supplements as the doctor said and ended up with a level over 3000. I stopped for a few months and restarted taking in consideration of my endurance etc. neurologist doctor says it can cause problems, but I could not get specifics. So be careful.

Mine was low about a year before symptoms started, treated with one injection and then an oral supplement. The fatigue gave way for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back