Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
TN
City
Knoxville
It's been a month to a month and a half since I've been here, and I've been coping with my anxiety more and more. Therapy, medicine, etc. Today however I've noticed something new.

My starting "symptoms" were a non visible tremor in my left leg, as well as twitching when the muscle was resting. Recently, today to be specific, however. I've noticed my tongue quivers when held half way out of my mouth. Doesn't do it when full extended - nor when at rest, that I can tell. But when it's held half way out you can see a very noticeable quiver or twitch. I've yet to see a neurologist, I wanted to believe I didn't need to. Is this something to be concerned about? My leg still tremors and twitches, but less than normal. I understand the chances of me getting Bulbar onset at 20 years old are virtually non existent, but I can't shake this feeling and it's affecting a lot in my life. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest that you see a neurologist. Your symptoms could be due to many different reasons.
It is probably not bulbar onset ALS if it started in your legs.

Everybody's tongue quivers when you stick it out of your mouth.

And the fact that you seem to be able to put your tongue into various positions so that you can observe it pretty much seals the deal -- it doesn't sound like you have bulbar ALS symptoms at all.

What has your primary care physician had to say about these annoyances that you have?

They've chalked it all up to anxiety and/or hypothyroidism, as my thyroid came back low. I've since been on thyroid medicine to control it - and as far as I can tell, this is fairly new. It just seems completely odd and to me terrifying.

I would say, relax and don't worry until otherswise told something else.

I appreciate the thought. Although it may not seem like it, I have been doing nothing but trying to relax. Days off work, therapy, etc. Seems like something else gets me back into this as soon as I calm down and think I see improvement.

Your tongue is a muscle, all muscles have a tendency to quiver when under exertion. Stretching out your tongue is exerting it. If it quivers when it is at rest in a normal position in your mouth then PERHAPS it could be a sign of something else or it could still mean nothing.

What you are describing does not at all sound like ALS. You need to control your anxiety and perhaps see a Dr to help control it.

Good luck!

The comment is appreciated TedH5. I have no doubt in my mind I am overreacting. But it isn't consistent. The quiver is there when slightly protruded, but not fully. I understand my tongue is going to move, but quiver?

You sure waste a lot of time worrying about stuff you really shouldn't be worrying about Dear. It's not normal you know?

*** LIKE *** Ms Pie!

I know it is not normal. I do not come here for the joy of it. I am well aware that what I'm dealing with currently is not even close to what people on this board are faced with. I came here the first time after being stupid and googling twitches, I saw how reassured people were when they came here. Short of scheduling and potentially wasting a neurologists time, this is my only option to get opinions and advice. Should I not be worrying about it because it is a waste of time, or because what I'm describing sounds nothing like ALS?

Because ALS is a relatively rare disease. Go to the neurologist. Do not borrow trouble.

So you go to a Neurologist and he or she clears you of any significant issues. Will that calm, reassure and help you move forward? If the answer is truly yes, then you won't be wasting their time.

Perhaps I have not yet met the right doctor. Or perhaps I am really that ridiculous, but I've yet to find one that I feel takes me seriously. One final question - is a referral needed for any and every neurologist appointment?

The need for referrals depends on your insurance company. If no neurologist is taking you seriously, it is time for you to move on. Your chances of being diagnosed with ALS in the US are less that 1/1000th of 1 percent. MOVE ON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back