Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Albany
I've had some issues that started when I was pregnant. I just had my first child in November. One day I was getting out of bed and turned my foot a certain direction. That sent sharp, stabbing, electric nerve pain up my foot. Not long after I noticed the same with my hand on the opposite side. This was during the first trimester and I wasn't swollen. I also developed nerve pain/muscle spasms right below my upper rib cage. It moved from one side to another. That part actually subsided after I had my daughter. I do have numbness on the skin where that was occurring. All of the above took place about April/May 2011.

I figured the nerve pain was due to pregnancy. After I had her it got worse. The nerve pain moved to the other hand and foot, but not as severe. About 2 weeks ago I noticed my lower left leg felt weird. It feel s sort of heavy and like it is weak...but it functions perfectly normal. I get a burning and tingling sensation occasionally. It just feels stiff. About a week or few days later I noticed my throat felt tight. It comes and goes. I'm not sure if that is a symptom or anxiety related. No issues with eating/drinking, just a tight feeling.

I went to the neurologist about a week and a half ago. He did a full physical and that was normal. Just to look into things more, he said we could do blood work, an mri of the brian, and an emg. I did the blood and so far the results are normal. We're waiting on 2 more tests to return. I have my mri on Wed and the Emg the following week. Since that time I've noticed some muscle spasms. They happen all over,but some are in both legs. I've also started to feel a buzzing sensation in my left leg. This is the leg not affected as long. Doc put me on Effexor for anxiety/panic attacks. I believe that has added to the spasms.

What do you think? I'm a bit of a worrier and it has gotten worse since having my daughter. Thanks in advance for your time!

Numbness, tingling,stiffness and the pain you describe are NOT symptoms of ALS.

ALS symptoms do not come and go.

Please read the stickies at the beginning of this section to get some additional section.

Try focusing all your thoughts and energy on your beautiful baby.

You may be experiencing some symptoms of post partum depression. Please speak to someone about this.

Don't let your anxiety ruin one of the most magical times of your life.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back