Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
TW
State
Taiwan
City
Taipei
I read limb onset description and most of them mentioned that it starts from extremity like fingers then spread to body center. If it possible for it to start from upper arm? My left triceps jerk occasionally and I have a weird sensation around it and easily tired sore muscle.

I didn't find any significant muscle atrophy or weakness. All I have is constant triceps jerk and weird sensation.

Limb onset ALS can start in any limb. I am telling you this for educational purposes only as I am not sure why you are on this forum. Some slight and occasional jerking in your left tricep means that you have occasional, slight jerking of your left tricep. Nothing more and nothing less! You do not have ALS. Good luck and please do not waste your time here.

If you're worried, go to the doctor and stay off this message board. You're scaring yourself needlessly.

Limb onset is merely a term of convenience to distinguish between various forms of the disease. ALS is a disease of the entire motor nervous system. The reason that the smaller muscles in the extremities and the tongue and lips show the symptoms of ALS first is because it takes fewer motor neuron deaths to substantially disable those muscles to a clinically quiantifiable degree. Fewer muscle fibers == fewer motor neurons needed to control them.

The upper arm muscles are much larger than the small muscles of the hands. The upper arm needs more motor neurons because it has more muscle fibers. That's why it takes longer for the upper arm muscles to be crippled in a typical case of ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back