Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Hi. I have been on a couple of threads complaining about the numbness and weakness in my right leg. Onset approximately two months, MAYBE three. It has gradually gotten worse and now, my biggest fear, the left leg and foot is starting to cramp and my right arm and hand is numb with pins and needles. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc a couple of weeks ago but the spine surgeon said he didn't think my leg problem had to do with my back. I went back to the GP today because this weekend was awful. SUPER bad numbness when I woke up in the morning in both my right leg and arm. Yes, I've been cleared for stroke. To make matters worse, on small section of my face near my lips (opposite side from arm and leg) is numb and twitching like crazy.

Now my GP has ordered a muscle and nerve EMG and I'm terrified.
First, for those who have had the EMG, does it hurt and secondly, if it's normal does that mean no ALS? Now she's saying Multiple Sclerosis might be something we need to look at. Does anyone know if the EMG test can identify Multiple Sclerosis? (I should have asked her this) And finally, it seems my symptoms came on so fast , they are worse in the morning and subside for the most part during the day but sometime flare back up in the afternoon. By evening time sometimes I feel 85% normal. Does this sound like ALS? I know you guys are not doctors. I'm completely nervous and it seems this has been going on, and on and on and NO ANSWERS! Any advice would be appreciated. God bless.

Your symptoms don't sound anything like ALS. EMG's aren't fun but tolerable. Some discomfort but not bad. I believe MS is found with an MRI.

Definitely not ALS with all the complicated sensory issues, but could be a ton of things including ms. The EMG is not used to diagnose ms. You will need a contrast head and spine MRI and probably a lumbar puncture.

I have had 6 EMG so you will be fine, painful......a bit, bearable........anything is to help with a diagnosis.

Aly

Thanks Ms. Pie and Alyoop. I'll do anything at this point for a diagnosis. If it's MS, I would like to get going on the medication. I cannot make it from the car to my building without a great deal of effort in the morning. I was also tested for Rheumatoidl Arthritis and Lupus this morning and will get those results back on Friday. My PC did prescribe me some muscle relaxers so I'm hoping that helps. She does want to do the MRI thing as well but the EMG first because she's thinking it is still somehow related to my spine and how the nerves are sending out signals. The whole thing is so confusing and I forget most everything she tells me because I'm so anxious. Blood pressure was 147 over 118. I know it's all about patients. It's never been my strong suit. Thank you for you opinions that you don't think it's ALS. I'm still praying for back/spine issues.

Make sure you take someone along with you. They can help fill in the gaps when the stress causes " amnesia". It's so easy to freeze and not listen, or remember the list of questions you had!
Just an idea
Best wishes

Aly is right. I always have someone with me taking notes.
Good luck!

Thanks for the advise. I never thought about that. It's a great idea. Next time for sure. Does anyone know on the EMG results, it's that immediate or do you have to wait for some to interpret? Thanks.

I always had to wait a couple days except for once and she talked to me about it right away.

Thanks Ms.Pie, I just didn't know what to expect. Patience is a virtue! I wish I possessed some of it.

Most likely, since your GP made the referral for the test, the results will be sent back to him/her with the interpretation. If a neuro does your EMG, he/she may give you a quick impression of the results on the spot. If a technician does the test, they'll have to pass it along to a doctor for interpretation.

Thanks trfogey. When the appt. was made, they said "technician" so you would be correct. I will have to wait for the neuro to read and pass back to the GP. What I didn't know was there are two kinds of EMG's, one for nerves and one for muscles. I'm getting both done. I really don't know what to think of the whole thing. Example, this morning, both the legs were numb and some pain in left calve, couldn't walk properly. Now, the legs feel a little weak (nothing like this morning) and can walk normally (without anyone noticing there is a problem.

Has anyone that's been diagnosed with ALS have more trouble with symptoms in the morning?

Take ALS off the table. Try some questions on other neuro sites, it may help.
They usually do nerve conduction studies and EMG together, so that's just standard. The ncs are electric shocks, and EMG needles in muscles. They look at different data. Ncs are good for determinig whether ir not radiculopathies are causing the problem ( among other things)

Has anyone that's been diagnosed with ALS have more trouble with symptoms in the morning?

That question sums up the biggest problem with your current mindset. It doesn't matter what an ALS patient experiences compared to what you experience. The ALS patient has an ALS diagnosis -- you don't. And from what you have described here about your symptoms and examination results, you aren't likely to get one anytime soon -- if ever.

The place for you to find patients like you is a board devoted to back pain and disc problems, not an ALS board. The sooner that that idea sinks into your stubborn skull, the better off you will be.

Hon---

With numbness on one side of the body and facial numbness on the OPPOSITE side of the body--that is classic signs of a stroke or mini-stroke. I've had several mini-strokes and a full stroke. I know what I'm talking about here.

WHEN were you cleared for a stroke? If it wasn't within the last 24 hours--you're NOT clear.

The other thing is that blood clots in the calf can cause pain in that area (again--pain isn't usually a presenting symptom of ALS) that can be of sudden onset and gradually worsen (Again, I speak from experience)

As the others have told you--you have too many sensory issues for ALS to be likely--but spinal issues are on the table (despite what one surgeon said) and other types of neuropathies.

The ONLY way to be clear of a stroke is with a CT scan or MRI. Mini-strokes are easier to find when one goes to an ER as soon as the symptoms start. They can last anywhere from a few minutes to days in some cases (though not usually not longer than 24 hours)

If you haven't had an MRI of your brain, how did they clear you of a possible stroke?

Pain in your calf could be something as serious as a blood clot or something as minor as a pulled muscle.

There are lots of things that need ruled out. But, I gotta tell you--ALS sucks to be sure--but a blood clot or a stroke can kill you--and darn quickly, too!

Hi again. Like I told you before ALS doesn't affect sensory! Have you had a MRI usually with MS there would be plaques in brain also the symptoms come then disappear and come back you have to have 3 episodes to make diagnosed of MS and heat excerbates MS symptoms. Def. not ALS. Did they rule out CVA by MRI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back