Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Southington
I recently came across some information that scared me a little bit. I saw that there is a metabolic increase with ALS.

Throughout the past few months that I have been struggling with muscle twitching, weakness, and some atrophy in my forearm and calf, I have not been able to exercise.

Despite not being able to exercise, something I used to do 4-6 times a week to keep my weight down, I have not gained any weight. I have been eating at least the same amount, if not more, than before I started feeling the symptoms. Back a few months, before I even thought about ALS, this was something that really concerned me. It was as if I could eat and eat/not exercise and stay the same weight. This is still something that I have been puzzled about but didn't connect to ALS until now.

Is this a concern with early ALS or am I just reading into something I read a little too much?

ALS doesn't speed up your metabolism. Another case of misinformation being spread over the internnet. Muscle dies, it weighs more than fat. You lose weight.

AL.

If you're talking about the study I think you are--it had a whole 62 people in it, I think. Not nearly enough to prove anything. The fact that your weight has not changed doesn't make you hypermetabolic.

Definitely reading too much into it. If you are doing less--your body uses less energy. So, if you look at it that way, your normal metabolism might have slowed to compensate for your doing less exercise. Again--my hypothesis--but it doesn't make it fact. All kinds of things affect metabolism.

Relax.

Thanks for your responses. Time to stop looking into things I suppose. It's just that when I searched "metabolism and ALS" a lot of related links and studies came up.

As I said though, time to stop searching and let my new neurologist do the diagnosing. By the way I have 1 1/2 hours of EMG testing to look forward to next Tuesday. My new neurologist liked the work of the last one, but wanted to do a more thorough job to find the cause of my problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses. Time to stop looking into things I suppose. It's just that when I searched "metabolism and ALS" a lot of related links and studies came up.

Most of the uses of the word "metabolism" in those studies refer to specific substances being processed in the body and not to body metabolism in general.

If you thought that "metabolism and ALS" had an impressive list, don't G o o g l e "sex and ALS." You might never find your way out of that G o o g l anche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back