Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nc
City
charlotte
Hi all

After some advice based on symptoms I have been receiving.

I woke up about 3weeks ago with a numb left arm and leg. It felt like a dead arm and leg but then when I actually touch them they both feel fine to touch. I have also had heat sensations particularly in my arm.

I went to a neurologist and i have had all the blood work done and the only thing that came back was a vitamin d efficiency but she said that wouldn't cause such symptoms.

I also had an MRI and theres no evidence of MS and she also though my reflexes and nerves looked ok when doing the pin test etc.

In the last couple of days I have also had really twitchy toes and lower left leg too.

I don't think I have had weakness ( i havent dropped anything and have been walking ok) although i sometimes think typing is a little strained.

Does this sound like ALS? How would others describe weakness? Can you feel this still for example when lying down? Like a numbness? or simply when lifting etc?

Worried, thanks for your help and support

1st off, you don't have to worry about ALS, you have no signs. Trust your doctor.

Sorry you got yourself worried about ALS, because you have nothing that resembles ALS, again trust your doctor, this is NOT ALS

Doesn't sound at all like ALS. Put that out of your mind and leave the diadnosis up to your Doctor.

Thankyou for your help, I'm glad you think not...and wondering where to go from here with my testing

In the earlier days of my symptoms. I went and saw the neurologist about 3 monthly, but things were slowly getting worse. I suggest you let time do it's thing....wait for a few months. If things get considerably worse you can always go back to the Dr, but just wait for a while. Things may well settle and even disappear, as these symptoms often do.
Aly

Thankyou for your help, I'm glad you think not...and wondering where to go from here with my testing

Whereever your doctors recommend that you go with further testing. You should direct any further questions that you have to your doctors. As others here have told you, your symptoms don't sound like ALS, and most of us have no idea what you might have.

Be patient with your doctors and good luck to you.

I have also been feeling really short of breath, walking up stairs etc, what makes people say they don't think i have this?

The reason is that you are not presenting with symptoms that suggest ALS, here are my reasons for stating whatvi did.
1. It is unheard of that ALS presents with a sudden onset of sensory symptoms
2. It starts very insidiously and with weakness usually in feet or hands.
3. You have visited an expert who has spent many many years training, and he has said you do not have it.
4. Sudden onset of breathlessness on exertion is also not how ALS works. You are more likely to present with slurred speech
5. Apart from me, the PALS that have responded, have a very personal relationship with ALS, they know what they are talking about. Dr google does not!

We should have been more specific in why we said no ALS, sorry that you have been confused. Now you can relax and be assured that your condition is not terminal.

Aly

I have also been feeling really short of breath, walking up stairs etc, what makes people say they don't think i have this?

What makes you think that you might have it? Seriously, what symptoms do you have that rule in ALS while ruling out more common conditions?

Numbness -- not a symptom of ALS.

Heat sensations -- not a symptom of ALS.

Twitches in your toes and one lower leg -- not a symptom of ALS.

Shortness of breath upon exertion -- not a symptom of ALS.

So, what makes you think you have ALS, as opposed to some kind of heart or lung condition -- far more likely causes for your shortness of breath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back