12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Hi everyone;

My brother is coming to visit tomorrow. I have not seen him in a while and he does not yet know that I have ALS.

I'm concerned that my sis is telling me that he has been reporting symptoms to her that seem oh so familiar. He had two cervical vertibrae fused several years ago to try to correct numbness in his hands....that was the first thing that they looked at in me too at the nuerologists initial testing and evaluations. Well; those symtoms never receeded for him and now he has others.

My question is two fold:

- If it turns out that he has ALS, would there be any research that would benifit from fratenal siblings availability?

- My brother has no health insurance, so I will try to get him in to see a neurologist with hopes of a written diagnosis to enable medicare diability. Any pointers on where to get indigent care ?

Thanks.

Give the ALSA or MDA a call. They should be able to give advice.

AL.

Hi and welcome to our forum. I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis but I can tell you there is no better place to come for comfort and support.

I'm pretty sure that numbness in your brother's hands would not indicate ALS. I'm a CALS, but I believe the sensations of touch remain normal. So I'm hoping he has a different issue. Usually in cases of familial ALS (fALS), you would be well aware that other relatives had been affected.

And lastly, my PALS too had no health insurance coverage before he was diagnosed. And that turned out to be no problem at all. If you go to a doctor without insurance, they can often be talked into giving a special, reduced rate. As soon as the diagnosis was confirmed, we headed straight to the nearest Social Security Office and applied for Medicare. Approval is fast tracked for this illness

His Medicare coverage was back dated to his first symptom, and so all those first visits were later covered by Medicare, which gave us a credit on his Dr's bill. How nice, huh?

Bottom line is, it will take some time to get things in motion but if you're having specific problems, then just post a thread and ask. (I still want to think that you're brother doesn't have ALS.)

I hope this helps......

Very good and helpful information.....Thanks!

Bad Balance...Do you have any other familial history of ALS? If not it would certainly be highly irregular for all of a sudden two people in the same family to have it. I hope the visit goes well and that your Brother is OK.

On another vote have you had your first visit to Emory? How did it go?

Good luck to you my friend!

I am the Health Care Service Coordinator for MDA's ALS Division in Atlanta. MDA funds the ALS Center at Emory and if you brother does not have insurance, he can be seen at Emory and the visit will be paid for by MDA. Please feel free to call me at 770-621-9800 for more information.

That is true the Clinic visits are paid for by the MDA which is a wonderful organization.

Thanks so much for the post and great news Vcu.....appreciate the information!

Although my brother is exhibiting symptoms, they come and go. We do have a family history of cervical problems and I am thinking that his problems relate to this issue.

If things continue; I may have him come back to Atlanta to attend the Clinic at Emory. Thanks again for all the helpful responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back